soonest ALASKA cruise/trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all - looking for some help here. My uncle is dying and I just found out that he's always wanted to cruise alaska. All I'm finding are May cruises and later, and while i know that is the main season, I don't know how he'll be then and was hoping I'm missing something that might work earlier. <BR><BR>Any recommendations on Alaska cruises/trips leaving soon - of any form would be appreciated. <BR><BR>The timing is most important, but a good deal would also make this easier to afford. <BR><BR>*****please reply directly to [email protected] so I get your response as soon as possible <BR><BR>Thanks again! <BR>
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 06:09 PM
Lew

The soonest cruise to Alaska, according to Vacations to Go, will be May 3 on the Amsterdam.<BR><BR>Here's the itenerary<BR>ITINERARY<BR> <BR>DAY DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART <BR>Sat May 3 Seattle, WA 5:00pm <BR>Sun May 4 At Sea <BR>Mon May 5 Juneau, AK 1:00pm 8:00pm <BR>Tue May 6 Hubbard Glacier (Cruising) Noon 5:00pm <BR>Wed May 7 Sitka, AK 7:00am 6:00pm <BR>Thu May 8 Ketchikan, AK 7:00am 1:00pm <BR>Fri May 9 Victoria, Canada 8:00pm Midnight <BR>Sat May 10 Seattle, WA 7:00am <BR> <BR>
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 03:25 AM

The Amsterdam would be a great ship for your uncle.<BR><BR>If I was in your position, I would contact a TA immediately and see how they can help.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 03:31 AM

Cruise ships start the itinerary in May after they reposition from the southern ports.<BR><BR>The only thing running earlier would be the ferries that service the Alaska towns-check them out-some might be pretty comfortable(don't know about the weather,tho')<BR><BR>If time is so critical(sadly) maybe you ought to fly and take land-based tours. Good luck.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks to everyone who has emailed and/or posted. Seems like the ferry will be my best bet if he's up for it, which is still to be decided. I'll post again if we do get to plan this and need more advice. Thanks again and happy travels to all!
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 09:00 PM

Read this article from last week's Seattle Times before you decide on the Blue Canoes. I lived in SE Alaska and the ferrys are far from cruise-like or luxury and can be more expensive and boring than you think.<BR><BR>http://archives.seattletimes.nwsourc...y=Alaska+Ferry