Reload this Page >

snorkelling when short sighted?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 08:57 PM
teresa

Has anyone experience snorkelling when they normally wear glasses? I cannot wear contact lenses and do not wish to purchase a special mask for a one off experience. Is it worth it? <BR>

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 06:10 PM
Cathy

I would definitely recommend the corrective mask. Short of wearing contacts - which I don't recommend because if you get any sea water in your eyes - OUCH! - you won't be able to see very well without glasses and using regular snokle mask. Although snorkling is a relatively safe experience, there are dangers such as sea urchins and fire coral. If you cannot see where you are going, you could bump into a danger and get hurt. Plus, it is a waste of money to go on a snorkling trip and not be able to see much. <BR>Some professional dive companies have corrective masks you can borrow. If you are doing the ships tour to a snorkling site, they usually DON'T have these types of masks - I have asked. But if you book your own snorkle excursion with a highly reputable dive company, they may have some you can use. <BR>I purchased my own corrective mask years ago and I absolutely fell in love with snorkling so it was an excellent investment.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 05:14 AM
don

I am very shortsighted, and the last time I went snorkling, I rented the prescription mask. It made a world of difference and is definitely worth it ( the whole point is to be able to see, otherwise , why bother)!

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 07:22 AM
Sheli

Or just do what my mother-in-law did....get laser eye surgery 2 months before your trip...then you can see everything and not have to spend the extra money on a perscription mask. <BR> <BR>(At least that was her reasoning...but this is coming from a woman who has had breast reduction surgery, a face lift and a tummy tuck and she just turned 50-something...what a waste of money!) <BR> <BR>Sheli <BR>

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 11:34 AM
x

Sheli - maybe you should post your response under the 'how much does a cruise cost?' post also!!! LOL

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 01:49 PM
sheli

*LOL* No doubt! <BR> <BR>I couldn't believe it when I heard that the eye surgery had to be done before the trip...so that she could snorkel without a 'script mask! And I married this woman's son!??!?! <BR> <BR>Sheli <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 01:24 PM
Wayne

I puchased an off the shelf mask with snorkel and corrective lenses for my wife for under $100 off the internet. Check out www.diversdirect.com, they have alot of masks that can be fitted with the lenses too. <BR> <BR>If you go to a dive shop you will pay 50% to 100% more than that. <BR> <BR>Good luck.

Old Mar 31st, 2001, 05:27 AM
Louise

I have been snorkeling for ten years and cannot see to read without glasses - actually I wear bifocals. Never have any problem snorkeling as everything underwater is magnified so just use a regular mask.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 09:13 PM
Kay

My husband and I snorkeled twice in Hawaii with rented regular masks, and while we could see everything, it was not clear and sharp. We finally broke down and checked out prescription masks. We bought a reasonable quality mask for less than $100 each at a local dive shop, and it was well worth the investment.

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 01:47 PM
Linda

Hi Teresa, <BR>I bought my husband a great mask with <BR>corrective lenses for $85, really top- <BR>notch.Anyway, my husband never liked to <BR>snorkle with me.I thought in buying this <BR>for him he would be more enthused to snorkle with me.It worked. He now loves to snorkle.It's always one of the great things we can share together on a cruise.I would suggest going for it-buy it you won't be sorry.