Reload this Page >

shore excursion - things to do Canada/England

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 05:22 PM
pavla

Message: Princess Golden is doing Canada New England fall folliage in sept. We will be going to Halifix, Boston, St. John, and Newport Rhode Island can someone please reccomment any excursion or things do on shore contact info would be good also I am trying not to book through the cruise line too pricy.<BR>thanks <BR>pavla<BR><BR>

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 05:53 PM
Theresa

This looks like a great itiniary - I should look into this!

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 08:28 PM
pavla

to Theresa <BR>I glad you like if you find any infomation on will you please post it<BR>pavla

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 09:11 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Pavia,<BR><BR>Your questions are too general. You have access to the net .... do your homework.<BR><BR>For example, people that live in the East visit Newport & Boston once and sometimes even twice a year. There are hundreds of things to see and do. Same as asking what there is to do in New York City.<BR><BR>Also, things that others like to do you may not like to do.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 12:10 AM
me

Pavla, In Newport you might enjoy going to some of the "summer cottages". I believe you can buy tickets to see them individually or several of them. They really are not to be missed. In the Canadian section of this website are great suggestions about these two ports from those who live there. I was thinking of doing a cruise similiar to this and they had some great suggestions. Just type in key word Halifax or St. John. I am interested in the titanic which Halifax has a lot of history on. As for Boston, what is there not to do. The commons should be beautiful that time of year. Take a self guilded walk on the Freedom Trail, marked by a red line through the city, and you will hit a lot of the famous sites including Bunker Hill, Paul Revere's house and the Old North Church to name a few. You can tour many of these at your leisure. For those less active there are boat tours and bus tours and always great restaurants and shopping to enjoy. If you've never been to a presidential Library there is the Kennedy Library which I found very interesting. Unlike Paul, not everyone who lives on the East Coast visits Newport and Boston once or twice a year. Hope this helps some.!

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 02:33 AM
Parrot Mom

We did a route similiar last year..Halifax was delightful, we hired a taxi driver and he took us on a tour of that beautiful city. He told us that if we came from Boston and we do not to bother going to Peggy's Cove, one sea village looks like another and the people who did go complained the fog rolled in very quickly. He did take us to the graves of the Titantic victims and I can't tell you how moving it was. The graves with numbers, many had mementos left by children at the graves of children. He then took us to the Citadel, a fort overlooking the city where we witnessed a marching exhibition complete with bagpipes. After spending time there we called him and he took us to the unspoiled waterfront where we enjoyed a lovely lunch. You can walk back to the ship and on the way is the Maritime Museum. One of the highlights of Halifax was that the cruise line had arranged for a local dance troupe, Amethyst, to perform with the same bagpiper from the Citadel just before the ship sailed at 4:00 p.m. St. John we had been to before and there is nothing really special, but there is a great city market to wander through and then walk to the waterfront where there are all sorts of cafes and shops..On your way back to the ship note the murals in one of the parking lots and the lovely architecture. Just before the cruise ship port is a little lobster shack where we had a great lunch of fresh steamed clams. Newport I can tell you is great..you can shop in the lovely and somewhat expensive shops or take a bus to take you to one of the "cottages"..There are several and there is now one that has actors and actresses performing and you become part of the scene..If you write to me I'll look it up. well, then you have Boston, the city I come from.. We had friends who sailed into Boston and wanted to see Boston, our Boston..the wife insisted upon Quincy Market..which we went to for a fast run through....then we took them to enjoy a delightful afternoon in Copley Square, opposite the Boston Pubic Library. There is a beautiful park surrounded by a little waterfall, gardens, music, benches, etc. From there we had lunch across the street at Skipjacks, some of the best seafood and most reasonable in Boston. We walked Newbury Street, the Rodeo Drive of Boston... Thr Freedom Trail leads you right into the North End with fabulous Italian food.. Can you "do" Boston in one day...I doubt it..there is so much to see. Depending on how long your in Boston you can pick up a tourist trolley. Oh yes, you can visit the Boston Commons, see the Swan Boats and the rose garden..and opposite the Commons is Cheers in the Hampshire House. The Boston Commons is we've been told is the largest space of land left untouched in a city anywhere in the world. Any other information I would be glad to fill you in on..

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 09:13 AM
pavla

to Parrotmom & Me<BR> Thanks soooo..... much I am so excited now I can't wait. I think this is going to be a wonderful cruise. Princess Golden here I come!

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 10:35 AM
Parrot Mom

Pavla wish I could show you pictures of our cruise, but Photopoint has gone under and we haven't put them up anywhere else.. You do miss Portland, Maine though which is really exciting, but instead you get the glamorous Newport. Frankly, we don't do cruise tours and prefer to become informed and hire taxis going where we want to go. Halifax is a college town, hills, beautiful little homes and green grass. But I couldn't imagine being so moved at seeing the graves..they are shaped like a bow of a ship. We had a great time at the Citadel talking to the students who are in uniform. This had been the second time in St. John and it's a city with old red homes(also a hilly city) that are being refurbished by "yuppies"..we had a great time in the city market, I was able to bring home to my Canadian neighbors special tea. Instead of eating at the waterfront cafes when we walked back we found the lobster shack..walking and opening your eyes to those things around you was exciting, the plaques on the buildings, the wonderful large mural..etc. Not to mention the Canadians are wonderful gracious people who go out of their way to help you. As a side note when I go back I want to thank the people of St. John and Halifax personally.. We had a terrible tragedy this year in Mass. with a bus load of students overturning and four children killed. There wasn't anything these people didn't do for the children and their parents... they opened their homes, fed them, comforted them and have been at the side. With the recent terrorism planes had to be diverted and the stories that have come out and are being taped about the people in Halifax with 17% unemployment would make anybody want to cry. Passengers were taken into homes, food was cooked, no sandwiches, full course meals, breakfasts of eggs, bacon, sausages, homemade bread and homemade jams..These people have formed a bond and are now visiting back and forth I've been reading. Our friend in Halifax many people left having gained several pounds. Any other information please feel free to write.. thinking about doing that trip myself..again.