Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Ships w/Large Family Suite? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/ships-w-large-family-suite-601834/)

jeanmw Mar 23rd, 2006 02:18 PM

Ships w/Large Family Suite?

We are planning a first-time cruise for our family of 6 -- 2 adults, 2-16 yr olds, 15 yr old & 11 yr old. We think a 2 room suite is what we want -- which cruise line might have them? We are looking at a Caribbean 4 or 5 night cruise in July or early August. We are also looking for lots of activities for our teens & younger daughter as well. And my husband and I would like to have some nice meals as well, so the food is important, too. Are we asking too much? My research so far suggests Royal Caribbean or Carnival as far as kid-friendly. Any suggestions appreciated -- this is a very confusing process. Thank you.

spur Mar 23rd, 2006 06:03 PM

Look for a ship with connecting cabins. It'll cost you less than suite and will give you two baths. You are right about cruise lines.

itsmlf Jun 14th, 2006 09:15 AM

RC Freedom of the Seas has a suite that will sleep 14..and what a beautiful new ship..any questions email me for comments.

newyorkgolfer41 Jun 14th, 2006 09:40 AM

Don't be crazy. Go for two cabins, adjoining or next door to each other so you have 2 bathrooms. I'd also recommend a 7 night cruise rather than a 3 or 4 night. You get a much better passenger composite on a one week cruise.

BeachBoi Jun 14th, 2006 09:58 AM

That Family Suite on FOS is booked until summer 2008!Not a bad price, $12K for a 7 night cruise.

Suerich68 Jun 14th, 2006 10:25 AM

That sounds pretty reasonable, BeachBoi, less that $1,000 p.p.

jeanmw, what about a verandah suite, with an inside room across? Our suite on HAL had an interior room across the hall. Your family could all share the larger verandah during the day & you could save quite a bit on an interior room.

Hold Jun 14th, 2006 11:29 AM

You might want to do what we did. It saves a LOT of money and increases what you actually receive. We booked a balcony cabin and one inside room---directly across the hall. This way you get two rooms, two bathrooms, more space, more storage, etc.

Again the price savings in huge and we all shared the balcony. When some of us were doing outside activities, the others used the balcony, etc.

One last thought, most people only use their cabins to shower, sleep, change clothes in, etc. This is especially true on a first cruise.

Have fun whatever you select :)

Wednesday Jun 19th, 2006 06:09 AM

Have you looked at Disney, they do a 3 or 4 night or a 7 and are experts at family accommodations and experiences. Most of the RCCL and CCL ships that do a short Bahama cruises may be a little older and may not have the big suites you may be looking for...The best bet is the balcony across the hall from the Inside scenario, just be sure to choose cabins, don't do a Guarantee, have fun !