Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Senior single travel experience (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/senior-single-travel-experience-536923/)

jojisgirl Jun 15th, 2005 08:20 AM

Senior single travel experience

Early seventies, while healthy I would like to play catch up and travel as much as possible. The single supplement is daunting. Has anyone had trouble sharing cabin with person matched by the cruise line - what did you do ? Upgrade to single cabin, if available, at great expense or tough it out ?

Has anyone (female) tried advertising on line for cruise companion living in same area (meet ahead for coffee scenario). If so, did it work ? Where did you advertise ? Off line, local paper, grocery store boards ? Never see such "stuff".

kfusto Jun 15th, 2005 09:46 AM

Several thoughts from a frequent solo cruiser (103 cruises and counting):

Check out www.myowncabin.com. It is a subscription service for single occ cabins at great rates.

Some lines are easy on singles. Check out www.msccruises.com. Smaller ships, nice single fares.

Repo cruises and longer sailings sometimes offer great single specials. A good cruise TA is the best way to find these. I am a TA and reseach this stuff for clients all the time.

I would never do a roomate share as the thought of being with someone who has habits directly in conflict with
mine would ruin my vacation!

Have you checked out church groups at your church or possibly your social clubs for roomies?

Best of luck!

Leona Jun 15th, 2005 11:09 AM

It seems so unfair that you should be penalized for traveling solo. But I think if I were you, I could never share w/a complete stranger. A ship's cabin is very close quarters.

Good luck & happy cruising.

maryann Jun 15th, 2005 02:11 PM

Using a real sharp TA is a great idea and I have heard that Holland America has good single rates. Spoke to a single man who had 9 single cruises. He told me that he takes a single share and only had to share 2x as men don't usually travel solo. Women usually always get a roommate as they don't like the solo price, etc.

Go & have fun- no strangers on the cruise ships.

gail Jun 15th, 2005 08:30 PM

Some cruiselines discount single supplement on less popular dates. For example, my mother found NCL Boston to Bermuda with waived single supplement this past early spring.

Rhea Jun 16th, 2005 04:11 AM

Maryann is correct in that HAL altho
they claim not to, does cater to a
more seasoned audience & the
single add-on fee is not punitive.
Once you have established yourself
as a "Mariner" (their club) you may also be ungraded.
Recently widowed, I took a
Tampa to Carib cruise & as a
Mariner of not that many sailings
they upgraded from "guaranteed"
cabin to outside double w/a tub in
the head to boot.
The other benefit is a dearth of kids.

jojisgirl Jun 17th, 2005 09:47 AM

Thanks very much for your tips. I shall certainly explore them. And, by the way, encouragement. I was hoping to hear from single senior ladies who had been "matched" by the cruiseline re. their experience. Nothing to date.

SUNSHINE1223 Jun 19th, 2005 02:04 PM

are you sure www.myowncabin.com is the right place. I just tried it and it took me to log cabins and not cruise cabins.