Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Seattle/Vision of the Seas, can we make a 10:40 a.m. flight if the ship is scheduled to dock at 6:00 a.m.?

Seattle/Vision of the Seas, can we make a 10:40 a.m. flight if the ship is scheduled to dock at 6:00 a.m.?

Mar 1st, 2007, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Hi, what do you experienced cruisers think? Will RCCL let us off earlier than everyone else? The only other choice is waiting around until 3:50 p.m., ughh!!
Mar 1st, 2007, 08:58 AM

This is a question you should pose to the cruise line. However, Princess allowed my daughter and her child to be first off because she needed to catch an early flight. There is usually a lag between the time they dock, and when they are ready to 'disembark'...paper work, etc. If you could get off before 8 a.m. and ctch a taxi, it's not far to the airport...and an easy connection, especially if you can check luggage at the curb, have your boarding passes already printed, etc. Yes, I think it is doable.
Mar 2nd, 2007, 05:23 AM

There are more issues than arrival time to consider. Immigration is the major stumbling block these days and the process to clear the ship more cumbersome every day.

The cruise line would tell you no, absolutely. I would not do it personally.
Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:25 AM

Sorry, no, this is NOT recommended. You are underestimating time. And frankly, a GREAT many people want off the ship early like you, so you are NOT guaranteed any early timeslot.

You need to get through customs, collect your bags, get a cab, 30 min. to Seatac. Get to right terminal, check in, security, then to gate.

Seatac requires at least an hour window.

You get the idea- book the later flight.
Mar 2nd, 2007, 07:16 AM

I have no recommendation for the Seattle port since we have not been through this port. Cruise ships will assign a departure time based on a number of different priorties. However, on several cruises we asked for the first departure even when assigned a much later departure and it was given to us with no questions asked.

HOWEVER, the key to a quick departure is not to have put our your luggage out the night before and NOT to have a lot of luggage. We are a family of four and travel with backpack style carryon size lugggage for each member and ONE rolling carryon size bag. It is very easy to be the first off the ship, first through customs, and first in the taxi line. You can do it but you have to plan for it from the beginning.
Mar 2nd, 2007, 09:04 AM

Yikes - I would take the later flight. Yes, the cruise lines will try to accommodate your early flight, but as mentioned before, many people want off the ship ASAP.

I have been on several cruises where I have seen people becoming agitated and quite angry because their departure group had not been called yet and they were afraid they were going to miss their flight. I imagine it was a bad way to end a nice vacation.

After my first cruise, I have always booked flights that depart late enough so I can have a nice breakfast in the dining room, wait for my departure group to be called without stress and with plenty of time to make it to the airport.
Mar 2nd, 2007, 10:28 AM

Only certain cruise lines allow you to carry your own luggage off the ship.

On a recent RCI cruise, there were so many doing this it was a mess!

As a Diamond Plus member of RCI's past passenger group, we get first call to debark the ship. Even with that perk, I would not try a flight that early.

Keep in mind that the airport is busy on cruise ship days and if you miss your original flight, it might be difficult - and costly - to change.