seasickness prescription patches

Mar 24th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

seasickness prescription patches

has anyone taken these patches on the plane with them or do they have to be checked. thanks
Mar 25th, 2009, 04:08 AM

When I worked in a hospital the M.Ds would not prescribe them because of side effects, i.e. blurred vision. You can of course take them on the plane but just be aware. I do take ginger tablets with me (the same idea as when your mother gave you flat gingerale) and mint tea..
Mar 25th, 2009, 05:31 AM

They are not a liquid or gel, so they can be taken on the plane. Depending on the person, they can be very effective.
Mar 25th, 2009, 10:01 AM

They are fabulous, and I have taken them for years. There is no issue carrying them on the plane with you, as Doug said - they are not a liquid or a gel.... I have had no side effects with them at all, except I drink alot more water....
Mar 25th, 2009, 01:48 PM

I agree that for some people the drug will work okay with little or few side effects.

You should remove the disc if you have any trouble urinating or if your start having vision problems of any kind.

Another thing to watch for is that if you are consuming alcohol ( and who doesn't consume some on a cruise ship !),

then the alcohol slows down the "breakdown" of the drug which in turn leads to high blood levels...and then onto to side effects.

It takes about 12 hours for the drug to reach its highest concentration in your blood stream.....

so keep this in mind and take the drug about 10-12 hours prior to when you want the effect to begin.

Yes, you will drink more water because the drug (Scopolamine)

decreases your salivation...so your mouth is dry and you have to sip water.
Mar 27th, 2009, 07:42 AM
TC

I use them all the time when we sail. For me, they are wonderful. They do take about 8-10 hours to be totally effective and make me a bit drowsy in the first few hours, so I put the first patch on at bedtime the night before we board the boat. After that....no worries. I have had no other side effects. It is a little round, Band-aid looking thing, so there is no problem whatsoever, having them on a plane with you. Some people put the patch behind their ear, I put mine on my hip so it doesn't show.