Reload this Page >

Stingrays in Grand Cayman

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2000, 09:35 AM
Paige

We are sailing Sunday the 27th on Celebrity Mercury to the Western Caribbean. Should we take the ship's excursion to Sting Ray City to swim with the Sting Rays or should I try to arrange something for our group of eight on my own before we leave?

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 06:18 AM
sml

It is very easy to book on your own. Just look right at the tender pier for people with signs. Or ask at the tourist booth right at the dock. There are several companies doing the trip. They will provide snorkel and mask, too. We were just there last month. The ship charge $39 and we paid $25 (that is per person). We also didn't have to go at 8AM!

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 06:20 AM
sml

forgot to add--- since you have eight, I would try to get to the dock by 10 AM. the boat held about 25, but they drove us out in vans and your group will almost fill a van.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 01:46 PM
Connie

Absolutely book the Sting Ray City tour. It was the best thing we did on the entire cruise. You have to experience the fun of playing with Sting rays (I kept calling them water puppies) The guys who run it are great and they instruct you every step of the way. There is nothing to be scared of as long as you follow their instructions. GO GO GO!!!!!!

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 07:37 AM
Elaine

We were on the Celebration in April 2000 and on the way back I met a young teenage boy on board with one horrible <BR>looking arm. He was on this tour and said the stingray came at him from the side and he was caught unawares. I don't know anything about this tour because we didn't go on it, so I can't say if he did anything he shouldn't have or not but it did not sound like it from his recount. This may be a rare occurrence but I'd ask..although a tour operator probably wouldn't admit if it did. After all this time, thinking about how his arm looked makes me wince!!

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 07:09 AM
babs

Elaine: You are a moron. Did this boy have his arm ripped off? Was there blood everywhere? And you didn't go on the tour??? Sting rays do not bite...they have no teeth. They ingest their food underneath of their bodies with soft yet strong round "mouths"...which when they are excited by the prospect of eating, can bring them to start sucking on a person's leg or arm. They are not mean and do not attack, and have no means of biting anyone. The sucking is not painful just surprising, and if it leaves a small bruise, it goes away. Please don't try to scare people with posting notices where you haven't done the trip. <BR>It is exciting and unusal, but better to do it once than never at all...sorry you won't know about them, they are gentle creatures.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 10:51 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>I was always hesitant to bring up the subject of the sucking sting rays but it is a fact. You never know when a sting ray will decide to make "love" to you. <BR> <BR>The swelling and the irritation is not pleasant. The irritation spreads and will last for the entire cruise. <BR> <BR>The odds are slim but it does happen two one or two passengers on every cruise. <BR> <BR>If you do not believe me you can confer with any doctor. <BR> <BR>Paul

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 05:54 PM
Elaine

Paul, After reading BABS brilliant comments, I was glad to read yours because I honestly know nothing about stingrays. I didn't know if this was a very rare occurrance or if he just had an unusually bad reaction to something that might not normally be severe. He was getting alot of "my goodness, what happened to you!!!" comments, so I don't think my description was over-board (no pun intended). <BR>I think I know what BABS stands for.......................

Old Aug 5th, 2001, 10:12 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>It depends on what type of allergic reaction you get from the "sting." <BR>You certainly will not die and antibiotics will take care of the pain, swelling and redness. You will just be uncomfortable and look funny for a few days. <BR> <BR>The tour is extremely popular. Consider a ship with 2,000 passengers .... 600 take the tour .... what are your odds. Just about all tours have some danger. you can get stung by a jellyfish, you can get injured swimming with the dolphins. You can be on the unlucky raft that turns over in the rapids. You can be dumb enough to hang glide on a windy day because no one will warn you. You can be the only one that ever rolled down Dunn's River Falls. You may fall off a horse on a merry-go-round. It is all the thrill of doing. <BR> <BR>Have fun, <BR> <BR>Paul

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 06:32 AM
Elaine

GM Paul, I agree fully with your response. My daughter and son-in-law are taking the Inspiration out of NO next month and if they want to go on the stingray tour they should go. I would only advise them to avoid - or react fast - to any stingray 'lovers' should they encounter one. <BR>My initial "warning" was not an attempt to bring down the stingray tour industry but to make people aware that something might happen and possibly learn how to avoid it. An ounce of prevention....etc. <BR>Paul, I have one question for you since I think this forum has your attention if only for the Babs vs. Elaine drama brewing. My TA said that CCL is offering some very good advance prices for the new Big boat they plan to replace the Inspiration with. Any thoughts about this new ship? <BR>Thanks...and I think the stingray question should be put to rest now that all the facts are known, don't you? <BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 07:19 AM
Michelle

I've been to Stingray City many times and have never had a problem or been on a boat with anyone who has. From what I gather, the stingrays will not suck on you for no reason....they will pick a spot that has the taste of squid on it. Many tour operators hand out squid for you to feed the stingrays with. If, say, you are finished feeding them and then you wipe your squid-scented hand on your arm, then a confused ray may start sucking on that spot on your arm. Don't worry about it.....the chances are slim and the experience is definitely worth it. Have fun!!