Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Sea-sickness (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/sea-sickness-905203/)

paddyzim Sep 6th, 2011 06:49 AM

Sea-sickness

As first time cruisers, I am a little concerned about sea-sickness. My teenage son and I would have motion sickness. Initially I thought the ships are so big that it wouldn't be a problem - but reading around a little more I find that it may be quite a strong possibility. Would hate it to infringe on holiday enjoyment.

Any advice on medication, patches, wristbands? Is is worthwhile taking something as a precaution, or only acting if and when sea-sickness hits us?

joannay Sep 6th, 2011 07:21 AM

I had my first shipboard experience in June on a QM2 transatlantic crossing. I was surprised that I could feel as much movement, even in calm waters, as I could. I too suffer from motion discomfort and brought a supply of Dramamine along. The first morning I felt queasy so took 1 tablet. It worked perfectly so I took one every morning thereafter and was not bothered again.

Once, sailing in a small boat off the coast of California I was given a transderm patch to use. It did indeed solve the problem but the side effect for me was blurred vision. Since I'm a reader that solution was not one I wished to repeat. So I figure try the simplest treatment first and the Dramamine worked for me.

doug_stallings Sep 6th, 2011 08:11 AM

If you know you suffer from motion sickness, then by all means take something ahead of time. The best solution (but also the most costly) is a scopolamine patch, which is available only by prescription. You'll each need 2 patches for 7-day cruise. These can be prescribed by the doctor aboard the ship, but seasickness is something that is best treated with preventive measures, and all the treatments work best if you take them before you are actually seasick.

You can also take Dramamine, which is fairly effective but can make you sleepy (but again has very limited effectiveness if not taken before sea sickness begins). Longer-acting Bonine is more effective for me, but I don't really get motion sickness unless I'm on a smaller vessel; if you take Bonine, you need 2 pills for every 24 hours aboard the ship (more if the ship is really rocking).

I've never had a problem on a large ship. But the last cruise I took with my parents, my mother had horrible motion sickness early in the cruise; my dad (who is prone to it and used a patch) had nothing. My mom was out of commission for about 12 hours until her patch kicked in, and then she had no further problems.

Eschew Sep 6th, 2011 12:45 PM

Ginger works well. You can also minimize the chances of hitting a big wave by the season and the location of your cruise.

joannay Sep 6th, 2011 02:44 PM

It's not necessarily the big waves that are the problem, just the sense of motion on any scale for those of us who are prone. I started with the mildest cure and it worked, so no need to bring out the patch and the side effects which were almost as bothersome as the nausea. Why use a cannon if a derringer does the trick.

jacketwatch Sep 6th, 2011 02:56 PM

What ships carry the patch Doug? In 2006 on out FP cruise on Princess the ships MD told us they didn't have it due to the se's and prescribed phenergan which actually did the trick.

jacketwatch Sep 6th, 2011 03:03 PM

Here is another thread that has a lot in info inre to mal de mer.http://www.fodors.com/community/crui...on-one-yet.cfm

Aristotle Sep 6th, 2011 04:15 PM

Scop patches are very effective, but some individuals do have unpleasant side effects such as blurred vision and urinary retention. These are inherent to the drug itself, dut some are more sensitive. Scop should be used a bit ahead of time for best effect. Meclizine and Dramamine and such help some and there are others too. Some one mentioned Phergan. A caution; avoid phenthiazine drugs,such as Compazine, which may sometimes be offered in foreign pharmacies. They are very effective, but rarely used due to their alarming side effects.

jacketwatch Sep 7th, 2011 05:37 AM

Compazine is still used. I've given it to many pts. over my 30+ yrs. as an RN and have never seen a SE. Its still on the market. All drugs can have SE's. I think it best to consult w/ an MD first. JM2C.

paddyzim Sep 8th, 2011 11:12 PM

Thanks all. This is great to know. I think I will see what is on the market, and find out more re side effects. It sounds like it is definitely worth taking something as a precaution. Side Effects sound pretty rough too!! So glad I asked about this....better start researching some more. Do the ships have meds on board? Do they charge? Since prescriptions are free here, I should maybe go visit my GP.

jacketwatch Sep 8th, 2011 11:35 PM

Absolutely get the meds first. You will be prepared. They do have meds on board but there is a cost for them and for the MD visit as well. You have to be seen by the MD 1st so theres a fee for that too. For me its best to see your personal MD to get things squared away B4 you go. JM2C. Have fun. Larry :-)

Sassafrass Sep 9th, 2011 05:19 PM

For those of you who have taken lots of cruises: I read somewhere that even if you have never been affected, you can have a sudden attack of sea sickness. How likely is that if you have never been bothered before? I have been on two long cruises, one shorter one, and several boats; one in a pretty bad, though short in duration, storm. During the storm, many people were pretty sick, while I stood outside enjoying the wind and motion. So far, I have found the movement very soothing, but there is a nagging fear that my luck will run out and it will hit me sometime. Should I have meds just in case, or is it a pretty sure thing that if you haven't gotten sick after all that, you will be ok?

Aristotle Sep 10th, 2011 09:51 AM

As an MD I have seen some pretty dramatic side effects from Compazine - extrapyramidal movements, etc. Very frightening, esp if the person is unaware of the possibility. Compazine has been banned in some hospitals, esp pediatrics. IV Banadryl will quickly breakup the side effects, but you have to have it handy and know about it. I still think the risk is too great.

Percy Sep 10th, 2011 12:08 PM

Boy I have not heard of Stemetil being used for dogs ages !!

jacketwatch Sep 10th, 2011 12:55 PM

We usually try other drugs first but its still on the formulary. Not too long ago it was used on a pt. getting high dose IL-2 rxs. Seemed to work well. Yep, Percy its still around. :D

Percy Sep 10th, 2011 03:39 PM

Thanks , jacketwatch, for letting me know it is being used at your hospital.!
:)

jacketwatch Sep 10th, 2011 03:54 PM

is it banned in Canada?

jacketwatch Sep 10th, 2011 04:19 PM

BTW how is your hand?

Eschew Sep 12th, 2011 10:55 AM

Larry, I thought Compazine is used to treat schizophrenia, migraine & vomiting from radiation treatemnt etc. Using it as a seasickness cure maybe an overkill? I have also heard that scopolamine patch is the most effective, but I still prefer ginger.

Sassafrass, unfortunately, I think you are right about motion sickness can come out of nowhere. Maybe Aristotle can offer a comemnt on the topic?

Larry & Percy, have you heard anything from traveller69? He hasn't post anything for a very long time. Last time I heard from him, he was haeding south for the winter, and that was last year!

jacketwatch Sep 12th, 2011 11:25 AM

Don't what happened to T69. I hadn't realized he has been AWOL. See the link inre to compazine. we use other things 1st but I have seen it used and its been effective.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prochlorperazine.