Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Scuba Diving in Belize City , Costa Maya?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2003, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are on the Inspiration in Feb 2004 incl stops in Belize City and Costa Maya. I'm having a hard time lining up 2-tank dives there w/internet. This is so unlike Cozumel, Caymans, USVI, etc where we have lined up great dives & beat the shorex price. Helpful info anyone?
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 07:06 PM

In Belize we dove with Hugh Parkey - www.belizediving.com. He was great. His boat was the nicest dive boat I've been on. He has a shop right on the dock and he tendered us back to the ship. I would highly recommend him.

Old Oct 20th, 2003, 10:06 AM

I'm sad to announce that Hugh Parkey passed away last winter quite unexpectedly - an undiagnosed heart problem if I recall correctly. That said.... the good news is that his wife has carried on with the business and they are still widely regarded as one of the best and most reliable operators that runs out of Belize City.

For Costa Maya it may be worth booking through the ship - we took the shuttle bus ($3 per person each way) to Majahual, the small fishing village that's just south of the cruise ship pier. It can actually be walked in about 20 minutes or so if you stick to the trail that runs along the water strating by the small salt water pool near the beach. I saw two dive operstors in Majahual - one was iffy looking but the other looked more professionally run and PADI signage prominentaly displayed. I'm sure you could book with them direct but I don't know how to reach them and it appears that they have only a couple of boats - not sure if they provide the service for the shorex but if so they may already be booked when you get there.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 10:13 AM

On a hunch I just did a google and came up with some info - it's generally listed under Majahual rather than Costa Maya. There are dive expeditions out of Xcaret but it's a very pricey cab to 45 minutes south.

Try these two:

www.bluehadiving.com about 2 km south of Majahual

or

http://www.mayaharesort.com/index.html about 10 km south of Majahual - this is a dive resort with fast boats and has a US source for info and reservations - check the web site
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the info on Hugh Parkey. That's definitely a big loss - he treated us so well.