Scrapping of lots of ships

Old Aug 31st, 2020, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scrapping of lots of ships

Just read an article about the state of cruise ships. With smaller lines like Pullmantur going under, there is suddenly no secondary market for ships the major lines no longer need or that they canít afford to maintain during Covid19, so many are going to the scrap yard. When things are better again, many of the smaller and even mid-sized ships will be gone. We will be left with mostly huge mega ships of main stream companies and expensive luxury ships of smaller, exclusive companies. That is not a good prospect to me. Mid-sized, affordable, family oriented ships were our favorites. I dislike the mega ships and canít afford the luxury lines. Hope there are some good changes too.
Old Sep 5th, 2020, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
Just read an article about the state of cruise ships. With smaller lines like Pullmantur going under, there is suddenly no secondary market for ships the major lines no longer need or that they canít afford to maintain during Covid19, so many are going to the scrap yard. When things are better again, many of the smaller and even mid-sized ships will be gone. We will be left with mostly huge mega ships of main stream companies and expensive luxury ships of smaller, exclusive companies. That is not a good prospect to me. Mid-sized, affordable, family oriented ships were our favorites. I dislike the mega ships and canít afford the luxury lines. Hope there are some good changes too.
The smaller ships are the older ones usually so it stands to reason to scrap those.

For the time being it seems the bigger ships will be ones left which for us is ok as we like them

Will there be a niche to build smaller ships in the future? Time will tell
Old Sep 5th, 2020, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, I know it made sense to scrap the smaller ships. I just don’t enjoy the design of the mega-ships we have been on so far. Also, since we like to take our Granddaughter and Daughter, and we always pay, cruises may be out of our price range after the pandemic is over. We have promised our Granddaughter at least one though, and will think of the old saying that you can’t take it with you. We will just have to choose the itinerary and the ship carefully.
Old Sep 6th, 2020, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
Yeah, I know it made sense to scrap the smaller ships. I just donít enjoy the design of the mega-ships we have been on so far. Also, since we like to take our Granddaughter and Daughter, and we always pay, cruises may be out of our price range after the pandemic is over. We have promised our Granddaughter at least one though, and will think of the old saying that you canít take it with you. We will just have to choose the itinerary and the ship carefully.
Well after this has resolved perhaps the prices will be enticing, at least for some some cruises. They will need the money so you may catch a deal.
Old Sep 11th, 2020, 06:03 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Sad news as we won’t go on a ship larger than 350 passengers.
Old Sep 12th, 2020, 07:12 AM

I don't even know if there is a cruise in my future. It is a bit sad to read about the older smaller ships but I don't think they are the 350 passenger sort that the luxury lines use.

I usually am looking at price ($100 a day for my own cabin) so it's been the ones that generally run under 2000 passengers, eg HAL Vista class. Also liked the NCL Sun.

The giant NCL Bliss (4000 capacity although it wasn't full) was my last cruise. During the cruise it was okay, we were able to manage things by making reservations. There really was only a problem at disembarkation in New York. That I wouldn't do again.

I nearly booked the Zaandam (1400) for a Cape Horn cruise this spring. Glad I didn't since it turned out to be a COVID cruise.