Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Sailing out of San Juan, PR (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/sailing-out-of-san-juan-google-page-ranking-1032359/)

RRT25 Dec 17th, 2014 04:53 PM

Sailing out of San Juan, PR

On Saturday, we are sailing on Royal Caribbean's "Jewel of the Seas". The concern is that our ship doesn't sail until 8:30 pm, and I've been told that once you board ship, you cannot disembark. Our flight arrives at 2:00 pm and we want to explore Old San Juan, but what to do with our luggage? Is there any luggage storage area at the Port? Don't want to board the ship too early and be stuck on there for several hours and miss out on San Juan. HELP - please :)

jacketwatch Dec 17th, 2014 05:32 PM

Who said you can't get off once you are on?? I wonder if they are not set up to get off as several thousand are getting on but you should be able to.

The next question is when can you get on for such a late departure. Even if you got to the ship by say 3PM I don't think you can get on that early usually for an 8:30 PM departure. What is your info about when you can get on?

In any case you don't have much time. Does Royal offer a tour before departure? That may be your best bet. That would get you to the ship and probably take care of your bags.

RRT25 Dec 17th, 2014 05:43 PM

Jacketwatch - I received a text message today that says they board by deck level. Starting as early at 1:30 pm, but we are deck 8 so we are at 4pm. I'll double check on getting off once you go aboard, but I believe that is what they said.

jacketwatch Dec 17th, 2014 10:52 PM

I to got a message like that last Sept. for boarding the Diamond Princess and they even gave a time but we went early as usual and got on right away. I am not telling you to do this but for me I would go early as I doubt they would enforce this.

I would suggest, unless you purchased air from Royal, to go in a day early just in case there are unforeseen delays. We always do this.

Good luck, Larry :)

doug_stallings Dec 18th, 2014 07:51 AM

The really bad news is that Royal Caribbean usually uses the Isla Grande cruise port, which is far from everything. (The more convenient cruise port is right across from the Sheraton in Old San Juan a block from the free trolley.) Not so for the Pan American Cruise Port, which is across the lagoon and requires a taxi.

Barrachina restaurant will store your luggage. So you can drop it off and explore, then go to the ship late in the afternoon. There's no rule that says you can't board late.

But you may feel more comfortable just heading straight to the ship from the airport, checking in (and checking your luggage), and then hopping in a taxi to Old San Juan for a couple of hours. Just because you have checked in does not mean you have to wait around until your deck is called to board. Just make sure you know precisely when you have to be back to the ship. Passengers ordinarily have to be onboard 60 to 90 minutes before departure. That information should be in your cruise documents.

jacketwatch Dec 18th, 2014 08:01 AM

Doug to the rescue :)

Dayenu Dec 19th, 2014 11:45 AM

After you turn the luggage in, you don't have to board. You can go on exploring the city. They accept luggage, doesn't matter what time you board.

Somebody above mentioned city tours - I think they only have post-cruise tours with drop-off at the airport, not pre-cruise tours.

The boarding time is approximate, don't remember our assigned time, but we were there at 11, nobody checked.

jacketwatch Dec 19th, 2014 05:16 PM

I am pretty sure that Princess for our 2009 Panama Canal cruise offered a precruise tour before departure. However that was 5 yrs. ago, nearly six actually so I could be wrong

Dayenu is usually right. :D.

RRT25 Dec 19th, 2014 05:30 PM

You have all been so helpful. Thanks very much. Great information here that will come in most handy tomorrow.

jacketwatch Dec 20th, 2014 07:12 AM

Have a great trip!