Reload this Page >

Ruins at Tulum-kids 13 and 9 need help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Linda

My search engine isn't working! My daughter (13) wants to do this excursion in April, already having snorkeled at Cozumel. My other daughter (9) isn't too great with long walks! Any comments from people who have taken kids? Can the 9 year old stay on the ship in camp while the 2 of us go? Thanks for any comments!

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 05:23 PM
teddie

Touring the Tulum ruins alone does nor require huge amounts of walking, but can be extremely HOT. There will not be any shade. Hats, sunscreen, and bottled water are a MUST to bring along. There is a nice little beach for swimming; have the kids wear their suits under their clothes. BTW, some of the tour guide narrations can be long, and difficult for a young child. Will you also be going to Xel Ha?

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 02:49 PM
ppat

Kids will love Xel-ha. Swim with dolphins, snorkeling river! My 8 year old was bored by the ruins

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 02:11 PM
Cathy

I posted a reply earlier and it seems that it did not post, so it may not be that your search engine is not working. Sometimes this site has &quot;quirks&quot;<BR><BR>Anyway, I do not have kids but as an adult I felt that the Tulum excursion was a long day. I think the 13 year old can handle it but the 9 year old may get bored. There are no &quot;long&quot; walks, but to a 9 year old, they will seem long, especially if she is not interested in the activity. I agree totally with teddie - when I went, it was very hot. But I went in late July/early August. It may not be that bad in April.<BR><BR>Call the cruise line and ask them about the children's camp when the ship is in port. Different lines do different things, especially when most of the families go onshore. Definitely make sure that if the camp is open while the ship is in port that they will not allow your daughter to leave and roam the ship while you are off ship.<BR><BR>Tulum has some interesting ruins. If your younger daughter can stay on the ship, definitely take the 13 year old. I am a teacher, and anytime a child expresses an interest in a historical or cultural topic, I do whatever I can to nurture that interest.

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 12:21 AM
Paul Therault

Hi Linda,<BR><BR>I doubt you will find any cruise line that will have a children's program on shore days. This is &quot;time off' for the staff.<BR><BR>I do not know if your children are interested in Mayan history but it is great fun to climb the pyramid or just to watch other climb up and then attempt to get down. The small beach is really nice but there are no facilities. Really is not much walking.<BR><BR>Paul