Notices

Rollaway beds on Silverseas?

Feb 9th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Rollaway beds on Silverseas?

We are looking at a Baltic cruise on the Silver Whisper, trying to get away as inexpensively as possible. Traveling with my husband and 10 year old son and wondering whether the $2600 fare difference for a sofa bed is worth it compared to a rollaway. Has anyone used the rollaway? Is it awful? Do they take it away during the day?

Thanks!
Feb 11th, 2013, 10:58 AM

Can't comment on rollaway or softbed for Silversea but either way, not likely very comfortable. The $2600 cost difference between a sofabed and a rollaway didn't sound right. The big difference maybe in the size/type of cabin: a cabin with a rollaway bed vs a suite with a sofabed (no need for the rollaway).

If you are "trying to get away as inexpensively as possible" as you satted, you may want to investiagte mass market cruise lines. The mass market ships are cehaper tahn Silverseas, offers kids' program so there maybe more for him to do rather than just hang out with the parents 24/7. Also, you may have some free time to do things on your own while he is being occupied.
Feb 13th, 2013, 07:09 AM

Hi Moosey,

I'm not quite sure about the rollaway bed situation on Silversea. Generally speaking, the majority of cruise lines have the third berths with sofa beds and not a rollaway. It could be that Silversea could have quoted you different stateroom categories, thus the heavy difference in price.
Feb 14th, 2013, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Eschew and LuxuryCruiseCo, you are correct, the room with the sofabed has a verandah, whereas the room with the rollaway has a window. We have tried both before and did not feel the need for a verandah given cooler weather, long days in port, etc.(There is also an option with a shared terrace that is $400 less than the private verandah and seems to make no sense.) So while the difference is not all related to the sofabed vs. rollaway, that will be the deciding factor for us. Sorry that was not clear.

I did a little more searching and was able to find the balcony room with sofabed for $500 less (total for three of us - but it is something!) by booking with Avoya Travel, an American Express affiliate. So I guess I will never know about the rollaway beds

Thanks for the responses.

Search this Thread