Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Riverboat cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/riverboat-cruises-985243/)

rednib Jul 15th, 2013 07:41 PM

Riverboat cruises

Just signed up for an 8 day Viking riverboat cruise....Nuremberg to Budapest. Added on 3 days in Prague at beginning and 2 extra days in Budapest at end. Thoughts?

bettyk Jul 15th, 2013 07:47 PM

We just did this exact same cruise, but with Gate 1, back in May.

The only complaint we had was it rained the entire time we were in Prague but the city was beautiful. We enjoyed everything about this cruise. All of the ports were very interesting with beautiful architecture. Our favorite parts were going through the Wachau on the way to Vienna and the entrance to Budapest. There are so many gorgeous buildings on the river when you get to Budapest.

You will love it.

HappyTrvlr Jul 16th, 2013 07:40 PM

We did that cruise and after additional days in Budapest, we took a train back to Vienna to explore more for a couple of days.

Cali Jul 16th, 2013 10:15 PM

We did that cruise on Uniworld and spent a couple days before the cruise in Prague and then spent some time in Budapest at the end of the cruise. We loved everything about the trip. We went in Sept. and weather was perfect. Have fun!!

Percy Jul 17th, 2013 09:35 AM

You will get bused from Prague to Nuremburg

I hope you get to see some of Nuremburg after you board the Riverboat.

After that you will be going to Regensberg ( I assume) . Watch for the lovely ornate Hall of Liberation perched on the top of the hill as you come to Kelheim ..just before Regensberg

In fact ask your tour director when this Hall will be coming up.

Then you are off to Passau.
Which had the highest flood levels since August 15 1501. !!!

On the Old Town Hall on the side facing the Danube look at the water level scale height and you will see how high the water was on June 3 2013 !! ( amazing ).

Make sure you go inside the Old Town Hall you have to see the ornately carved and frescoed interior .

After you leave Passau look for the curve called Schlonge Schlinge....

this is the sharpest hairpin curve on the Danube.
( look up an aerial view of this place so you can appreciate how much this hairpin curve really curves !)

HappyTrvlr Jul 20th, 2013 05:45 AM

We also visited Prague first and wish we had hired a driver instead of taking Viking's bus. Lunch was a gas station stop with hot dogsvspinning on a rack as the only food option and at cruiser's expence. Trip described as including a "lunch stop."

bettyk Jul 20th, 2013 03:56 PM

Gate 1's Prague tour was in the morning and we had lunch on our own.

On our "free" day in Prague, we took the optional all day tour to Cesky Krumlov. The included lunch wasn't great, but it was OK.

Royal Jul 21st, 2013 08:12 AM

We did that cruise with Avalon. For the bus trip from Prague to Nuremberg we bought our own lunch just before we boarded so that we didn't have to rely on gas station stop food.

Be sure to take the optional Nuremberg museum tour - was one of the best tours we did. Prague is beautiful!

This was our first river cruise and we loved it.

cas64 Jul 23rd, 2013 03:48 AM

We are going on the same cruise next Aug/Sept with 3 added days in Prague as well. We are organizing that ourselves however. I would be greatly interested to hear how you make out on this trip, likes/dislikes, mustsees. Also about your time in Budapest. I would like to extend our vacation for a few more days but not sure whether I want to stay in Budapest, thinking something smaller, more rural. When are you actually cruising?

rednib Jul 27th, 2013 05:15 AM

we are cruising 9/6-13/14 from nuremberg to budapest.