Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   River cruise in Europe - reservation question (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/river-cruise-in-europe-reservation-question-605911/)

FainaAgain Apr 7th, 2006 08:31 AM

River cruise in Europe - reservation question

Hello, this will be, if it happens, my first cruise ever. And I want it to be a river cruise. Preferrably in Europe.

I picked a cruise Basel-Amsterdam, and asked for a quote from the Affordable Tours - they give a 10% discount. I asked for a "single supplement" quote as I'll be alone. Got an answer based on double occupancy.

Is this the agent's oversite or there is no single supplement? Reading the Viking's website tour description it says "call for single occupation". Are singles even allowed on river tours?

desertduds Apr 7th, 2006 05:39 PM

Of course, singles are on every tour/cruise...we were on a rivercruise in Sept. and there were numerous singles...get back to them and get the single supplement price, though we didn't go on the one you want, you will love a rivercruise, couldn't have been better.

charli Apr 9th, 2006 12:56 PM

Basically, most single fares are the double occupancy fare times 2, with a few variations depending on the line. If a cabin is $2000, they advertise it as $1000 per person double occupancy. The single pays the same $2000 total. Some lines say things like "single occupancy is 200% of the double occupancy fare". Same thing. Check back and be sure you understand what they are saying, perhaps in convoluted terms. You will love river cruising.

FainaAgain Apr 10th, 2006 08:28 AM

Thank you both! I'm waiting to hear from Affordable Tours - they give 10% discount. Also sent an e-mail to Avalon for their quote.

Charli, I'm still to find a tour where a single supplement is 100%. Don't believe I'll have to pay double. If this is the case, no go. Should be more like 1,5 times of a quote based on a single occupancy. I'll keep you posted.

FainaAgain Apr 10th, 2006 10:41 AM

I got a reply to my request to Avalon/Globus Basel-Amsterdam 10 days cruise.

Cruise WS, Romantic Rhine, is
available September 10, 2006 to September 17, 2006 in category A. The
cost of the cruise is $2,448 plus $1,224 Single Supplement less $100 for an AARP discount with AARP
member number.

As expected, it's 50% surcharge for being a single traveler. I'm used to much lower charges on bus tours.

Well... switching to a plan B which is not on water.

desertduds Apr 10th, 2006 02:16 PM

It won't matter which category room you choose, they're all basically the same, pick the less expensive one, if you decide to go.

FainaAgain Apr 10th, 2006 02:36 PM

After reading the whole e-mail, it is my understanding, only the most expensive rooms are opened to the single travelers, at least on this tour.

Viking cruises offer less expensive tours out of Amsterdam in spring. I'll check with them at the end of the year.

I'm not completely discouraged, just delayed. Thank you for your help, Desert :)

Underhill May 1st, 2006 10:04 AM

That's true: the GCT charges a 25% single add-on, but only for rooms on the top deck. Still, at the GCT prices that's still a bargain, and GCT can arrange for a roommate if you want to save money.

I noticed last December that the program directors on board were very good at keeping an eye out for singles and facilitating their participation in activities.

faith77 May 4th, 2006 08:27 PM

FainaAgain,
I travelled solo on Grand Circle on a river trip to Russia last June. IMO these trips are a great combination of land touring and relaxing/touring on a smaller boat.
The Grand Circle ss is 25% on many of their trips.
The web site is www.gct.com
Faith