Search

Departing from NY Harbor...hotel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Ani
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Departing from NY Harbor...hotel

We are going on a family cruise (meeting several other family members from different parts of the country) to Nova Scotia et al in July on Carnival. We'll be flying in from Denver with a 2 year old and it looks like, unless we take a midnight flight (which is still a possibility) that our flight will arrive a bit late to comfortably make the embarkation time. I'm wondering if it would be best to arrive the day before and stay at a hotel near LGA or is there a better area -maybe close the harbor-so stay that would be relatively inexpensive. Thanks!
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 07:17 PM

Yes, it is always best to fly in leisurely the day prior to your sailing. You never know when the weather will cause delays, especially those pesky summer thunderstorms that have a tendency to cripple the 3 NYC area airports. Fly during the day as taking a midnight flight will certainly mess up your 2 year old's normal sleeping schedule, making for a miserable 4+ hour flight in from Denver.

Why stay way out in Queens by LGA? Doesn't Carnival sail from the westside pier in NYC?
Stay in midtown, westside and you will only be a short cab ride to the ship. Try the many hotel websites that allow you to bid for rooms. You'll all then arrive at the ship freshly rested and stress-free.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Ani
Original Poster

Thanks-that asnwers my question-I'm completely unfamiliar with the area, esp. where the ship docks so I'll look for hotels in those areas. Thanks again!
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 11:21 AM

I too would highly suggest you get there at least a full day ahead, so to enjoy some NYC. As already mentioned, you want midtown Manhatten, However, nothing is inexpensive. I stay frequently at the Super 8, great location and cheap cab ride to docks.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Suerich68

Before making a hotel reservation, you should contact Carnival. They are moving their ships to the new terminal in Red Hook/Brooklyn; you might be going out of there rather than the West Side Pier.

Bon voyage!

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Ani
Original Poster

Great info-thanks again!