river boat cruises

May 18th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

river boat cruises

Just wondering if you get the upgrades on riverboat cruises that you do on larger cruise ships. If you book the lowest price cabin are you going to get an upgrade.
May 19th, 2007, 04:26 AM

I am new to river cruising but from my experience, it is very different than regular cruise ships.

On my cruise, I booked in October for May of this year. All of the first deck cabins (cheapest) had been booked so I was booked into a cabin a deck higher and had to pay an additional $400. They seem to fill these ships from bottom up (cheapest to more expensive). Since the cabins are all the same on my ship (until you get to the suites) - there is no reason to book the higher cabin. Also, when I book, they assigned a cabin to me while on the phone. It was immediate. There was no guarantee option.

I called to check on availability of my ship around final payment time and the only 2 cabins left were suites.

I am not saying upgrades are not available and do not happen, I am just saying that booking and filling a river cruise is different than regular cruise lines.
May 21st, 2007, 06:22 PM

I'd have to second that opinion. River cruises aren't like the others.

Search this Thread