Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Repositioning cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/repositioning-cruises-585474/)

picky Jan 26th, 2006 03:22 PM

Repositioning cruises

Any suggestions for repositioning cruises in Europe returning to USA. Have cruised Greek Islands, Mediteranian and Baltic cruises.Any suggestions.

SandyfromTexas Jan 29th, 2006 06:43 PM

We've taken two
1) RC Jewel of the Seas; Ft. Lauderdale to England. Loved the ship, decent itinerary
2) Celebrity Galaxy; Rome to Galveston; good ship, good speakers, decent itinerary.

Bottom line: you have to love days at sea (which we do). Both itineraries had 2 or 3 stops on each side with six or seven days at sea in the middle.

ParrotMom Jan 30th, 2006 03:17 PM

We just did the Celebrity Century from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale. NCL has done them from the UK to Scotland, Ireland, France, Iceland and a few other ports down to NY.. I am now h ooked on Med. Cruises.. combined with trans-atlantic.. the only way to cruise.

jamesr3939 May 21st, 2006 09:26 PM

Check Oceania, we just did the Insignia from Barbados to France with 6 and 3 days at sea. We love the time at sea and plan to do it again soon.

scae0706 Aug 2nd, 2006 10:10 AM

Have made a reservation for NCL Pearl. Southampton to Miami on Dec 2nd this year. Expecting rough weather at first but would be interested to know if anyone has done a similar trip who would know if we might expect the weather/seas to improve as we get further south. Regards

samting Aug 4th, 2006 07:41 AM

Best 'transatlantic' has been on the Windsurf, from Lisbon to Miami. Two wonderful weeks with nothing to do except enjoy the sea, each other, good food, solitude if you like it, and a short time in one's life when you are not 'in control' and must adjust to your surroundings, relate, or not, to the folks you find around you, and just be 'still' for an interval. Gives one a lot of insight, in my opinion.

liz3kids Aug 5th, 2006 06:33 AM

Just curious are these type of cruise discounted? How do you find out about them? Thanks

scae0706 Aug 5th, 2006 07:21 AM

Liz, yes they are discounted. Re-positioning cruises are either Spring or Fall and often have few ports of call. Therefore they are priced accordingly. The Pearl does not have any stops on this trip and is basically NCL taking delivery of a brand new ship and moving her to Florida for Caribbean Winter cruising. You have to like sea days a lot to do this kind of trip. For us it was bargain, 9 days full board, with entertainment laid on plus a transatlantic flight back to the UK for less than the airfare. Fortunately we have no problems with sea days and have been known to stay on board in ports we have visited several times to simply enjoy the ship. Have not cruised with NCL for some years so we may find Freestyle cruising a culture shock after Celebrity, HAL, RRCI etc. However, we will not be posting on this site moaning about the trip afterwards -
we are going to chill and enjoy whatever comes along (even rough seas!!)
Cheers.

scae0706 Aug 5th, 2006 08:12 AM

Liz, did not answer your ? about where to source this type of cruise. I saw the NCL offer in the travel pages of our week-end newspaper.

alijay Aug 6th, 2006 12:41 PM

I've read these messages with interest but, as I live on the coast of the Mediterranean and would be interested in travelling 'the other way' - are there any websites offering details of these cruises? I obviously can't get and don't know your 'local' papers :)

ParrotMom Aug 7th, 2006 04:47 AM

For repositioning cruises go to the cruise line site and plug in "trans-atlantic". We found many Brits, Europeans and Aussies on our trip from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale.. We have been spoiled and I never want to do the Caribbean again.. Many of the guests were going to Disney or staying for a holiday in Florida, i.e. Disney or had a condo there. Depending on where you live in Europe...it is probably a bargain as flying to Europe one way is quite expensive.