Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Refund As Cruise Price Falls? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/refund-as-cruise-price-falls-183621/)

mary Aug 31st, 2001 12:03 PM

Refund As Cruise Price Falls?

My travel agent informed me that the price of my December cruise with RCCL has fallen and as a result of that I will be refunded $270 on my fully paid cruise. This is my 12th cruise and this has never happened before. She informed me that my agents in the past just never checked as the cruise date approached. Could this be true? If so, I certainly feel that I have over paid many times. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

xxx Aug 31st, 2001 03:16 PM

Mary..sounds like you found yourself a good TA. This is normal procedure for TA's who want to keep a steady clientel. As the date gets closer prices may drop even more..especially if your travel dates are before the holidays.

Theresa Aug 31st, 2001 03:46 PM

It is very true! <BR> <BR>My TA is great at looking at price reductions but I also look also at uniglobe.com's website. This way - if my ta happens to miss something - I can alert her and have my price reduced. <BR> <BR>theresa

Mary Aug 31st, 2001 05:04 PM

Thanks for the replies. I feel as though I have found out about such a deal! Can't imagine why I never knew this before, being the avid cruiser that I am. Better late than never! <BR>Just for grins it would be interesting to hear about others who have received refunds and how much. Thanks again.

Paul Therault Aug 31st, 2001 10:13 PM

<BR>Don't get your hopes up. The refunds do not occur that often. If a ship is not filling the price drops for everyone, it is no secret. <BR> <BR>The internet companies may not tell you about the refund and not send you the proper cruiseline receipts. <BR> <BR>The refunds vary considerably depending on the category booked. Some cruislines offer upgrades to everyone in lieu of a refund. <BR> <BR>The best prices are the early booking prices. There are no "last minute sales" just those that the agents say they are. <BR> <BR>Paul <BR>

Toto Sep 1st, 2001 11:21 AM

We recently booked two cruises with a new travel agent that came highly recommened. She definitely had the best prices, to start out, that we could find. The first cruise is a 7 day Eastern Caribbean and our final payment was reduced $200.00 because she was watching those prices. <BR>The second is a back to back cruise (24 days). She has already saved us over $1000.00 by monitoring the prices on this cruise so the savings is deducted from our final payment. <BR>Although I have never received a refund after the final payment is due, I am happy enough that she is watching those prices and passing on the lower cost to us, her clients. <BR>After a dozen cruises, this is the first TA that we have found that monitors the prices and passes along the savings. <BR>Toto

Paul Therault Sep 1st, 2001 11:40 AM

<BR>Excellent Toto, I love it. Two fare reductions. What luck. <BR> <BR>You are correct, it is not a refund but a reduction in the price. <BR> <BR>After the final payment is made you can still recieve an upgrade if the line is offering them across the board. <BR> <BR>I am confused how Mary will receive a refund on a fully paid cruise. RCCL does not issue checks. Could be that they will credit her charge card. Maybe she will enlighten us. <BR> <BR>Paul

Theresa Sep 1st, 2001 01:08 PM

They will either credit her credit card or will give her a shipboard credit. I have seen both done.

Mary Sep 1st, 2001 01:36 PM

My agent informed me that I would receive a refund check in 30-60 days. I did wonder about having paid in full several weeks ago but she reassured me that I would get the refund. An onboard credit or an upgrade would be wonderful. I will certainly let everyone know how this works out.

mary Dec 4th, 2001 06:22 PM

Just a note to let readers know how my refund worked out. My original cruise cost $1600. I was paid in full at the time I was told I would receive a refund. The cruise leaves Monday and my TA called today to tell me to come by and pick up a check for $452. RCCL and my TA worked this out between them some way with no prompting from me as I had no expectations. Pretty nice!

Paul Therault Dec 4th, 2001 08:25 PM

Aren't Travel agents wonderful?<BR><BR>

Marilyn Dec 5th, 2001 05:40 AM

Mary,<BR><BR>Have a great trip and just think how many fun ways there are to spend that extra "loot"! <BR><BR>Just wanted to say that obviously you do have a good agent. Just don't assume all the others were bad. There may never have been a time that your other prices dropped. I'm also an agent and I try to watch my clients prices very carefully and have found some great reductions. Just saved a group of 12 a little over $1200 per couple but that is unusual. Their prices rose for a few months and then dropped. (I think we caught each decrease) It has now risen again. Sometimes they only lower for a few days and you have to be a bit lucky. Another group has lowered by about $200 per person but one in March is a lot higher now.<BR><BR>See, we travel agents do spend a lot more time on your booking than most people realize. Sometimes it seems that the harder we work ( to find you good deals ) the less we make ( lower comm.) but there is a great satisfaction in being able to call the client with the good news. My hope is that they will then come back or refer others to me. I'm sure yours feels the same way.<BR><BR>Happy Cruising!

Melba Dec 6th, 2001 11:22 AM

Paul I am Mary's Agent. Cruise Lines can and do refund a lot on fully paid cruises, but only with the prompting of your TA. It is always a good question for someone hunting for a new agent. Do you follow up and do you refund? Mary is one of my favorite clients. They are wonderful people and delightful clients.

Paul Therault Dec 7th, 2001 12:06 AM

Hi Melba,<BR><BR>I was just generalizing. Some cruiselines do and some don't. DSM's usually are helpful.<BR><BR>Paul

Steve Dec 29th, 2001 12:33 PM

Can anyone provide the phone number to a great cruise travel agent that monitors the current rates, like the one Toto mentioned on the September posting? My wife and I are considering cruising to the Caribbean in July 2002.

Amy Dec 29th, 2001 01:18 PM

I am getting ready to book with AAA and they told me they are constantly monitoring the prices for reductions because they want me to come back as a customer.