Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for 5-year college reunion cruise

Aug 14th, 2001, 12:03 PM
Dana

During our senior year in college, my friends and I went on a 7-day Carnival Cruise (the "Imagination") and had a great time. Back then it was completely a "Spring Break" cruise - and we didn't care that four of us were crammed in the cheapest rooms on board. Well, 5 years later we are trying to plan a reunion - complete with new spouses (no kids yet though). While we still want to have fun, with plenty or activities and nightlife, we aren't in as much of a "spring break" mentality anymore and probably are looking for a slight step up since college. We are looking to do a 7-day cruise in June or July of 2002 - hoping to pay about $1000 or so per person. While I don't want the same experience as our first trip, I read that Carnival has a new ship "Carnival Pride" that will be sailing next year. If we book it, it will likely be it's second sailing or so. Is it a bad idea to try a new ship so early in it's life - things may not be running up to par, etc. Also, should I expect it to be very similar to our initial experience on the Carnival Imagination - we really want something a little classier than our first experience. There will be about 20 or so people going on this cruise - any recommendations are appreciated.

Aug 15th, 2001, 12:17 PM
Bob

Dana,

Is the $1000.00 per person you want to pay for just the cruise or does that figure include the airfare ? If you want airfare included in the $1000.00, where will you be flying from ? Based on your I think I can provide further info and recommendations.

Aug 15th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Dana

The $1,000 +/- per person would probably not include airfare/travel (although if it did, that would be great!) Many folks flying from North Carolina (CLT and RDU) and others from Chicago, New York and SFO...

Aug 16th, 2001, 11:32 AM
Andy

YOur budget is fine as long as no air is required--try Celebrity--they were running a special of $2100.00 approx for 2 in a BALCONY cabin on a high deck during a holiday period---it was a great rate and they should have something like that...IN fact, if you call your travel agent,they can get you a group booking and spread the free cabin among all 20 of you....email if you need anything...

Aug 16th, 2001, 11:03 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Dana,

Since you have your own group you will be making your own fun. Therefore any cruise-line will do fine. Get the best price and go. Make sure you get group rates and amenities from your travel agent.

Paul