Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Questions on a curuise to the Baltic or Northern Capitals of Europe

Feb 6th, 2001, 12:32 PM
AnewBlueDay

We want to curuise the Baltic in 2002, most likely in July. Some call it the Northern Capitals of Europe cruise.

Have any of you researched this area?

Which? Why? Comments....etc. Thanks,

Anew.

Feb 6th, 2001, 02:43 PM
Kris

We're taking one in July 2001 on Orient Lines that stops in Stockholm, Copenhagen, St. Petersburg, Tallinn and Helsinki. I chose it based on the number of days (wanted 9-11 days, most are longer) and the fact the the cruise spends a couple of days each in Stockholm, Copenhagen and St. Petersburg. I also don't care for whole days at sea, this cruise only had one full day at sea. I have sailed with Orient Lines before and I really liked the cruise.

All of the big cruise lines do a Baltic cruise, you can do a search in the cruise section on Fodor's to get an idea of some of the itineraries.

I would be happy to share info with you when we return about the ports.

If you want more info on ports, you can look in the destination section of Fodor's or try www.visiteurope.com which has links to tourism bureaus in the various countries/cities.

Feb 9th, 2001, 08:03 AM
simon holden

I cruised this route last year on Seabourn (the best)

Its a great itinerary, wonderful cities and if you like to explore by yourselves then the ships get right into most ports of call.

Highlights; Oslo theres a fantastic park full of statues I think its called Joseph Wiegler. Beautiful city centre with cafes and nice waterside bars. Alcohol is expensive in all these countries.

Stockholm; Wasa Museum,Old Town and theres a water cruise (approx 2 hrs )

Copenhagen; city tour

Helsinki; the local market( your ship should come right along side)

St.Petersburgh; too many to mention ! Make sure your trip has the longest possible stay here. We did Hermitage, City tour, Battlefield tour,Kirov ballet
and the two palaces Petrograd and can't remember the name of the 2nd one but its the Gold/yellow colored one and has a garden fullof Gold statue fountains.

I can't recommend it high enough. TThe excursions aren't cheap but what price can you put on an unforgetable
experience? Oh by the way the bootleg CD's are cheap and one year on they are still sounding good.

Tallin; go to the old town and just wander at leisure, its an undiscovered gem.

Mail me if you need any further info,

Rgds

Simon.

Feb 9th, 2001, 09:52 AM
Theresa

I did a land tour here 10 years ago and loved it! I want to cruise there really bad.

The place in St. Petersburg is Peter the Great's Summer Palace or Petroverts (sp?). It is a must see! I only had time to walk around the gardens and it was marvolous!

I loved all of the cities - definitely go.

Feb 9th, 2001, 11:02 AM
MHS

Simon -- did you need to get any vacine shots before you went? such as Hep. B?

Feb 18th, 2001, 11:56 AM
simon holden

No we didn't need any jabs. Non were recommended by my agent or cruise line.

Feb 19th, 2001, 05:41 PM
tom

I am going this summer to the area on the Galaxy on a budget...hope I have good weather 6/16 to 6/30...couple of questions: cruise leaves from amsterdam, any recommnedations for good / value pre-cruise hotels? Thought I might try the Rembrandt House, hope its ok. Will have two days pre-cruise in Amsterdam - suggestion on activities? btw Simon, bootleg CD's? shame on you - can't you afford to pay the artist, jeez, you went on Seabourn!

Feb 19th, 2001, 07:31 PM
Redcurls

I took a similar cruise last June aboard Holland America. We loved it! Ours started and ended in Stockholm and I notice in Holland america's brochures this year, the cruise is now a bit longer than it was last year. The places in St. Petersburg are marvelous, but you will be amazed at how dirty the city itself is. I don't understand how people can see out of such dirty windows. I can only assume that they are too poor to even purchase cleaning supplies. Even souvenirs from museums and of a decent quality are CHEAP. I didn't think that much of Tallin, but I thought Helsinki was extremely nice. I can't imagine anyone not enjoying this cruise unless you're looking for beautiful scenery.