Question for Herewego about NCL Spirit and Shore Excursions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed (and tried to get your attention!) on another thread that you've just sailed the NCL Spirit in Alaska, and was hoping you would answer a few shore excursion questions.

1. What shore excursions do you recommend on the NCL Spirit/ Sawyer Glacier cruise?

2. Did you do the Tracy Arm Fjord Explorer one? If so, was it worth the time and expense?

Trying to pre-request or arrange trips for husband and self, sailing 7/2/05. Thanks for any info---

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 05:39 PM

Sorry, just getting use to these boards!

We did the white pass railway and took the bus over to the glacier when we were in Juneau.
Check out the boards at cruisecritic as they are FILLED with info. I am busy there answering about our Spirit cruise as well as asking about our next one on the Dream in August.
You will find a lot more info there -- under Alaska and NCL. We had been to the ports before so we didn't do much other than take drives on our own but others there will be able to answer about most of the choices.
I can answer about the ship though

Did you by any chance buy a toursaver book? Am looking to buy one for our August cruise -- if I had known we were going on 2 cruises this year, I'd have boughten one LOL

Samantha
[email protected]
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks---am trying the cruisecritic board as well.

We're celebrating my in-laws' 50th wedding anniversary, and the family would like to take them out to eat at one of the smaller (surcharge) restaurants on the last night. Would Maxim's be the best place for that? There are 15 of us, and we'd like something a little more intimate for that last night.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Oh, sorry, I have not bought a toursaver book. In fact, I just heard (read) that name for the first time tonight. What is it???
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Just saw the Toursaver online. It doesn't look like it would help us too much with our extremely short ports of call---or am I misreading it? Is this really a moneysaver?

Also, what about the spa onboard? Is it wonderful or average? And what about the library---or is there a library on this ship?
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 08:14 AM

Ok let's see if I can answer all 3 --

Order them the anniversart package for $79 it is wonderful, they will have wine and strawberries in their room when the board, a free 5x7, a party etc and most importantly, a FREE dinner AND bottle of wine at Maxims! Not only that, as a surprise they will get a cake and SUNG to - it is all very sweet. The rest would pay $15 PP but the food and service is amazing! Make the reservations as soon as you board since it is a small restaurant. The cake is later sent to the room.

The tourbooks offer a lot of 2 for 1 deals which work out great for shore trips. If you do a float plane, kyacking etc. it can add up fast! Buying a used one (with your coupons still in it) is a good deal for both parties. I would LOVE to get a used one!

The spas are decent BUT they try to sell you their products the ENTIRE time! Be sure to let them no up front, you are NOT interested in anything but a relaxing massage! My MIL pretended not to understand LOL My sister told them this was her LAST dime and she couldn't buy one more thing - whatever works but you will need to speak up!

There were a lot of spa deals in the dailies -- mainly when we were in port so always check those!

Any other questions?
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

You are SO helpful---thanks for replying to my "laundry list" of questions! Our travel agent has given us very incomplete information about this. I'm going to check into the anniversary package right this minute!!!!!!
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 04:05 PM

Be sure to check out the forms at Cruisecritic.com -- they are filled with info!!

Samantha
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Samantha, thank you so much for your help! I have been checking cruisecritic for shore excursions (have a different "name" there--time2gonow). This is what we have (almost!) decided upon for side trips:

<b>Ketchikan: Misty Fjords seaplane </b> (Southeast Aviation) in the a.m., Duck tour in the afternoon [We wanted Island Wings, but they aren't flying that day as the parade will interfere with getting passengers back to the ships on time. Both Island Wings and Budget Queen recommended this company. We've done the Duck tours in other cities; I like them because they're pretty comprehensive, and usually the only way to see the place from both a water and land perspective.]

<b>Juneau: a.m. take bus to Mendenhall Glacier on our own, then at 1pm Catamaran to Tracy Arm</b> (up close to glaciers, on NCL sponsored vendor, tender back to ship). We don't have time to whale watch with Orca, and B-Q says it is not that great anyway, thus the self guided Mendenhall)

<b>Skagway: Heli-hike</b> This excursion with Temsco gives us helicopter transportation to a glacier, a hike, and passage back down on the White Pass Railway.

Prince Rupert: from what I have seen of these tours, I think I will pass and spend that day in the spa!

Does this sound doable for a reasonably (tennis) active couple in our late forties? Thanks again for all info, opinions, warnings, etc., etc.