Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Question about Vasa Museum and Gamla Stan in Stockholm (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/question-about-vasa-museum-and-gamla-stan-in-stockholm-826278/)

orange19 Feb 12th, 2010 06:27 PM

Question about Vasa Museum and Gamla Stan in Stockholm

Hi Everyone,

We're taking a 10 day Baltic cruise on the Sea Princess in May. They just released the excursions, so we're starting to try to map where we want to spend our time in each port by order of arrival - the first port being Stockholm. In reading some of the trip reviews, it sounds like the Vasa Museum is not to be missed, and then we figure we'll spend the rest of the time walking around and exploring Gamla Stan. We arrive in port at 10am and leave at 5pm. My question is... it looks like they are on two completely different "island" areas. Do we have time to do both on our own, or do we need to do one of the the cruise's excursions? If we CAN do it on our own, should we take a taxi, or the subway? Do the Museum first, then work out way back to GS before we have to board the ship?

Your expertise and advise is very much appreciated! :)

abram Feb 12th, 2010 08:14 PM

I'd do the Vasa first and then Gamla Stan--and I think you have time to do both on your own.

jacketwatch Feb 13th, 2010 12:28 AM

We did just this. From the dock the Vasa is an easy taxi ride. Go there first. Afterwards its a short walk behind the museum to a water taxi which takes you to Gamla Stan. Yes, there is enough time to do both. :-)

patandhank Feb 13th, 2010 12:03 PM

Also have you looked into the Stockholm card? We used it and actually took the public bus from right outside where the ship docks to the Vasa and were there first thing in the a.m. The card not only covers your transportation, but also admission cost to the Vasa and othe museums/sites in Stockholm. The bus system was really easy to use. Vasa is well worth a visit and I agree you have time to do both.

Percy Feb 13th, 2010 01:37 PM

I am assuming you are docking at Stadsgarten:

If you are it is too bad you cannot walk on water because the Vasa is right across the water from you.!!!

1. The walk into Gamla Stan is about 30 minutes...but this will not solve anything , because you still have to get to Djurgarden ( the island that the Vasa is on ).

( Oh yes, if you decide to walk , you cannot miss the direction because there is a blue line from the cruise ship to Gamla Stan.... so just "Walk the Line " ,as Johnny Cash would say !!)

2. If you decide to walk ,then walk only to the Katarina Lift... it is a tall "lookout" type structure...you cannot miss it because you will walk right by it.

( For a small fee you can take the elevator to the top of Katarina Lift for superb views of Stockholm..this only takes 10 - 15 minutes)

3. Anyway..STOP right here ( at the Katarina Lift), and take the Djurgarden Ferry "kitty corner" across the water to the Vasa.

4. Your other option is to taxi straight to the Vasa.

Decide on ahead of time for the taxi fare ...because taxi's are NOT regulated in Stockholm!!!

5. If you take the shuttle bus, then you will be dropped off at the Opera House ... and it is just across a short bridge to the Royal Palace......BUT...you still have to get to the Vasa from here!!!

6. IF you take the shuttle..then when you get off the shuttle at the Opera House...........walk to the lovely Grand Hotel( 2 blocks away), then walk another block down Stallgatan Street ( right beside the hotel), you are now at the water's edge...

and it is here that there are ferries for the short ride to the Vasa.

7. If you want the Tram ..it is Tram # 7

8. If you want the Bus.... it is Red Bus # 47 with Skansen written in the window address.

What would I do ??!

I would either walk the 12 minutes to the Katarina Lift and then ferry across, or

Take a taxi.

Also ,although the Vasa is listed as the #1 Tourist attraction, I would read about the Vasa, so that you will understand why and how it got to be where it is.!!

Suffice it to say that it sank on it's Maiden Voyage right in the Stockholm Harbour in 1628.

It was found in 1956.

It was raised out of the water in 1961.

It is easy to remember these dates because it was raised 333 years after it sank!!!

It is rather dark inside the Vasa Museum and it is rather difficult to take a picture of the ship....I would just buy a couple of nice postcard of the Vasa...that is what I did.

One more thing.......... from the Vasa,I would do the City Hall tour for sure, I would not miss this place.

You cannot go here on your own but you have to have a guided tour..... the tour lasts about one hour and cost $ 10.00 US.

The rest of your day will be spent at Gamla Stan, just across the water from the City Hall.

Yes you have time to do all three places !!!

( Allow me to digress and say Hi to jacketwatch and to patandhank).

patandhank Feb 13th, 2010 03:24 PM

As usual, Percy has provided some in-depth info that will be very helpful on your trip!

Hi Percy! Saw your Africa report - great job. I may be picking your brain in the future via e-mail on planning a trip for 2011.

Percy Feb 13th, 2010 06:40 PM

Hi patandhank

Glad to help anytime I can.

A Safari is one of those "Trips of a Lifetime"

Take Care

jacketwatch Feb 14th, 2010 08:30 AM

Hello Percy and its good to see you posting again. How's the hand? I hope its much better now. Take care. Larry :-)

Percy Feb 14th, 2010 04:50 PM

Hi jacketwatch:

The hand is about as good as it is going to be...it will never be the same after the surgery.

I have chronic tenditis in the hand which means it sort of aches all day long ..like a dull tooth ache !

I massage it every night and every morning.!

Nice to hear from you also.
Thanks for asking about the hand.

Sorry orange19 , I don't mean to hijack your posting :)

Echnaton Feb 18th, 2010 04:34 AM

Take a taxi, because...

...it is cheap (around 10€) and the only way to be at the Vasa Museum before the crowds arrive!

After the visit to the museum (one to two hours), take the water taxi to Gamla Stan. From Gamla Stan, you can walk back to the berth, take a bus or take another taxi.