Which cruise line has the best food?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2004, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might go cruising in July/August. Which line has the best food? Going to take teenagers and they will be very interested in the food. Thanks
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 03:41 PM

Of the three lines we've sailed (Celebrity, Orient and Princess), we thought Celebrity had the best food.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 05:00 PM
SeeMeFly

Food would not be top of my priority list regarding cruising. Look at itinerary, length of stay in ports, excursions, ship amenities, length of cruise. Unless your a gourmand then most of the ships will give you very good to excellent food choices. If you have not cruised before then it really won't make that much difference to you.

Old Apr 21st, 2004, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

I have been on the Radisson Diamond twice. Excellent food. Went on NCL about 20 years ago. Pretty good food. We do want good food.

Thinking of Mexico from CA b/c it will be pretty reasonable in summer, IMO. Not sure about ports yet. And need some fun activities for the kids our age, 12 and 16.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 07:19 AM

Celebrity & Royal Carib are terrific. Royal Carib has Johnny Rockets on some of their ships...(waitresses sing & dance to 50's rock n roll) which is a great diner atmosphere. Kids love this!
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 08:32 AM

Actually there is a difference in food quality. Celeb. is up there and from our own experience as well as what others have said here in previous threads Carnival is preferable to RCCL In fact Carnival had lunch offerings RCCL did not have such as a NY sytle deli, pizza, burgers, etc. Dinner had something special every night such as NZ lamb, Chateaubriand, prime rib, lobster, filet mignon, etc. In addition they are flexible about preparing something not on the menu. For example my wife loves Indian food and though it was not on the sit down dinner menu once they knew of her request they made it any night she wanted. All we had to do was inform them the night before. I think most cruise lines do this. Bon voyage. Larry
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 07:07 PM

We loved the Food on the Golden Princess and hated the food on the Celebrity Summit--feel Celebrity quality has gone down since RCL acquired them....portions are tiny compared to other cruise lines- lobster on formal nite came out ONE at a time- they would not allow you to order 2 lobster tails at one time ( and you could do this in the past and also could do this on Princess)..Celebrity's food has slipped--fish was too salty 3 nites in a row--steaks were 1/2 " thick ( could not get medium rare if you tried!) and prime rib was also 1/2" thick--think MAJOR portion control..........Rack of Lamb however was WONDERFUL!!

Ice cream was free on Celebrity and is also free on Celebrity if you go into the buffet line to get it..NOT outside where the Hagen Daz stand is located!

Most all the lines have a drink card which teens love- unlimited coca cola..
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 06:44 AM

Radisson Diamond, Celebrity Constellation and Grand Princess.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 02:12 PM

So far, Silversea wins hands down.
EVERYTHING is included. If you want caviar all day, no problem. If you HATE
caviar, no problem. Wine, etc. is included. The food was fantastic.
Old May 1st, 2004, 04:36 AM

I also wasn't impressed with Celebrity's food.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:13 PM

IMO, I don't think you can go wrong with Radisson, Silverseas or Seabourn food-wise BUT these ships will not appeal to teenagers (just answering your question). The ships that are best suited for teens are not the ships with the best food. You'll need to decide on your priorities.
Old May 4th, 2004, 04:55 AM

I would also not make the food a deciding factor. narrow it down to 2 or 3 cruiselines. If Carnival and RCCL are in that grouping, then don't let the food issue deter you from either. They both have fine food. There are plenty of snobby, picky eaters who love to complain that they hate the food on RCCL or Carnival, but that is nonsense. If you are that picky, you can pay the extra $20 and eat in the specialty restaurants and get top of the line stuff.

I agree that Carnival probably has slightly better food than RCCL, and the shows (entertainment) on Carnival is far superior quality than RCCL (The sole exception being the ice shows that RCCL puts on, which are great).
Old May 7th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Singletail

Answering something like this is probably not very helpful, especially when you have people who think that "burgers and deli pizzas" are "good" food!

Old May 8th, 2004, 07:53 AM

singletail...you read my mind as I was thinking the exact same thing. I am guessing that the question should have really been what ship has food that will best appeal to teenagers.
Old May 11th, 2004, 01:20 PM

In that acase Newyorkgolfer41, to appeal to your kids food tastes, Carnival or RCCL and they have the most kids on board.
Old May 11th, 2004, 02:58 PM

Check out ceania cruises... for food I am reading they far surpase Crystal and everybody else.. they have alot of two for one deals....
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:52 AM

MauiMaui...I wasn't the original poster. I'm agreeing with others that the best food is probably on Radisson, Silverseas, Seabourn (maybe to a lesser degree Crystal). The ships with the best food are not the ones which would appeal to teens. I think for families traveling with teens (and younger kids) it is best to stick with Carnival, Royal Caribbean and such...better food options such as buffets, Johnny Rockets etc. which is what we try to avoid when choosing a cruise, unless we're traveling with our children. Hope that make sense. BTW, where is Heavens...the original poster?
Old May 14th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Hi, sorry, I am still around. This thread just seems to keep on going. I am usually on the US board and check in on this now and then. Thanks all for the replies. We think now we are doing a roadtrip and will save the cruise until Christmas break, maybe. Just too much going on. But your answers are helpful. My kids love good food, so taking them on a cruise and having a great selection was important to us. Sounds like that should not be a problem whichever one we choose.