Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Q M 2 (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/q-m-2-a-520444/)

halcyon Apr 11th, 2005 02:57 PM

Q M 2

I am planning a transatlantic trip in August...I am considering a balcony room. Is this worth it? Any other suggestions etc would be helpful. We have never been on a cruise before.
Thanks!

Grandma Apr 24th, 2005 02:48 PM

ttt

Gardyloo Apr 25th, 2005 09:20 AM

We rode the QM2 from NYC to Southampton the week before last. The experience is rather different than a multi-port cruise (preferred term is "crossing") in that there are no ports of call hence no constant hawking of excursions or shopping "opportunities" at the next port. Frankly, we much preferred it to other destination-intensive cruises we've taken.

The QM2 is enormous, obviously, and offers a pretty industry-standard level of catering and entertainment, with the notable and positive exception of "enrichment" opportunities on transatlantic crossings - Oxford lecturers giving seminars, theatre groups - consult the schedule for what might be on offer for your trip.

Cabins are very standard; perhaps a bit more closet space than some, smaller bathrooms than others. But more than comfortable.

The balcony is a personal thing - we happen to love being able to sit out there watching the ocean go by. In our case, since the air temperature and the water temperature were both in the high 30s F, plus the 25 knot wind the ship makes on its own, it meant that extended stays were not in the cards. August may be different, but remember it's the North Atlantic, not the Caribbean, outside the sliding door. Also think about a lower deck rather than up high - the higher above the center of gravity the more pronounced the pitching and rolling. That said, the QM2 is so big it would take serious seas to make her rock and roll too much.

Note also that Cunard are very much into class consciousness - your dining venue is based on your cabin class, so if you want to dine with the gentry you have to pay extra. What foolishness. Also we had three formal nights out of six total, so plan on tuxes and/or inhaling a lot. Don't know your age; we are in our 50s and were definitely in the younger half of the demographic.

Go to the boards at www.cruisecritic.com for definitive reviews and recommendations.

travelinwifey Apr 25th, 2005 10:26 AM

Thanks for the great review Gardyloo. We were originally booked for the QM2 in May but opted for a cruise while in Europe instead. The 3 formal night idea bugged us a bit too. Still may try the ship in the future.

adi99 Apr 25th, 2005 06:45 PM

Hey,

I am going on QM2 in May and I am also returnign to New York in June. So I'm hoping this ship would be good since I am doing roundtrip. I think getting a balcony its worth it. If you however are planning to be outside of your cabin I guess balcony its not that worth it.
Do a lot of research.... before you book and see whichever company offers you the best price.
www.vacationtogo.com (this is where I booked my trip from).
www.cruise.com
www.cruises.com
www.cruiseone.com

Yeah the tux thign its kinda bothering me too and the age thing too .. i'm 27 but ohh well...