Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Problem with Royal Carribean (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/problem-with-royal-carribean-523816/)

tahoedee Apr 24th, 2005 03:43 PM

Problem with Royal Carribean

A word of warning about Royal Carribean (this was my 2nd and last sailing with them...)
DO NOT USE THE LUGGAGE VALET SERVICE!!! This is a contract RCCL has with American Airlines
where you pay $15 for them to get your luggage checked in at the airport for you.
You STILL have to go through the hassle at customs with your luggage, although the way the
information is written it doesn't look like you have to. AND, they gave me ONE boarding
pass but not the connection so I still had to hassle at the airport. I even called the
Purser's desk the night before and was assured there would be no problem in picking up my
2nd boarding pass at the airport (more standing in lines! I could have done it online
instead for free!!) and that my luggage was going to the right place. Well, 24 hours later
I am STILL waiting for my luggage and American Airlines has been EXTREMELY uncooperative.
Also, you can never reach anyone at RCCL when you need them - they are only open 5 days
a week at their convenience and it takes 10 days to get responses (if you ever get one) to
your email.
I will go with Celebrity or Princess next trip!!

Budman Apr 24th, 2005 05:45 PM

What are you talking about? Where? What airport?

Your luggage is never checked thru when you are traveling back to the States from an international location. You have to pick up your luggage, clear customs, then recheck your luggage.

What does RCCL have to do with your luggage and American Airlines? Why are you calling RCCL and not American?

I'm confused. ((b))

travelinwifey Apr 24th, 2005 10:24 PM

Celebrity is a part of Royal Caribbean:)

P_M Apr 25th, 2005 04:36 PM

Tahoedee has made only 4 postings to this board, and 3 of those 4 are to bash either AA or Royal Caribbean. Tahoedee's first post to this board was entitled "Royal Caribbean Stinks," and that was posted before he/she even took the cruise. I think Tahoedee's mind was already made up.

Furthermore, only the most inexperienced traveler would not know that you have to take your luggage through customs. It's always been this way, and always will be. The airline and cruise lines cannot change this.

Sue1offive Apr 25th, 2005 09:04 PM

It sure doesn't sound like you know much about traveling if you expect Royal to handle all your dirty work. Even BEFORE Sept. 11, 2001 you still were responsible for your luggage with Customs.

You might want to just take a bus, then you could carry your own backback and not have to deal with the outside world.

I just got back from a cruise on the Elation -- Carnival Cruise Lines and I had no problems whatsoever. Everything went GREAT!

Also, a little information, Princess is owned by Carnival, you might want to do some research.