Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Princess vs. Royal Carib.- luxury? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/princess-vs-royal-carib-luxury-419442/)

Sara8374 Apr 6th, 2004 06:56 AM

Princess vs. Royal Carib.- luxury?

We are considering taking a 7 night southern caribbean cruise this August, and these 2 seem to be the only lines that offer these, besides Carnival. Which is better- more luxurious, better service, etc? We are 30 years old and are looking to relax and be pampered.

Annie5304 Apr 6th, 2004 07:05 AM

I have not been on Princess but my mom has 4 times and just loves it! Our family went on RCCL 1 1/2 years ago and were not impressed. The food was ok, the staff was fine but they had been having engine troubles the cruise before us and didn't fix it. We were late getting into one port and had to skip another one completely. A friend of ours just went on RCCL in Feb. 04, different area (we were doing the Mexican Riviera and they were doing the Western Caribbean) and had a similar problem. We got an onboard credit for like $100 per cabin they didn't get anything. IMHO I would think twice about going on RCCL but wouldn't hesitate to go on Princess.

JimM Apr 6th, 2004 11:06 AM

We've been on both, on the Dawn Princess to Alaska and RCCL's Rhapsody to the Western Caribbean. Princess is definitely the more elegant of the two. RCCL is more laid back, friendly attentive crew, good entertainment, but only mediocre food.
Want elegance? Better service? Better food...along with lots of pampering? Take a look at one of the Celebrity Millenium class ships and their Ultimate Caribbean cruises.

PumpkinEater Apr 7th, 2004 05:27 AM

If you go with a suite on either of these two, you will be pampered. Food is a click better on Princess.

Peter

luv2fly Apr 8th, 2004 12:54 PM

Southern Caribbean in August...mmmmmm...very close to the start of hurricane season.

PumpkinEater Apr 8th, 2004 04:52 PM

Most of the southern caribbean itinerary is out of the hurricane belt.

Peter

SteveS2 Apr 13th, 2004 10:15 AM

Princess would be my pick. We sailed on the Golden this Dec. and the Radiance last Dec. Both are wonderful.

SeeMeFly Apr 14th, 2004 07:06 PM

Either....

Princess more for relaxation and pampering. RCCL for energetic activities. Read some cruise reviews for both and go with the one that suits YOU and your family best. My pick would be the itinerary and length of time in each port.

FancyGoing71 Apr 16th, 2004 04:57 AM

neither of them are considered "luxury" the three classes of cruise ships are "standard" "premium" and "luxury" and they are both standard. Try celebrity (premium) they really pamper you!

mikeim Apr 17th, 2004 10:34 PM

Or Silversea.

petlover Apr 18th, 2004 07:42 AM

Sara, I think if you're looking to be pampered, luxury, best service etc. your best bet is one of the following three: Radisson, Silver Seas, or Seabourn.
These are definitely in a different league than the mainstream cruise lines and you won't be disappointed.

snorkelcat Apr 18th, 2004 09:17 AM

I have been on the Destiny and the Voyager class ships. I am going on the Golden Princess this July and am very excited about the sailing.

The Voyager class ships are great for an ACTIVE vacation - I love the rock climbing wall, the excercise classes, the ice skating rink, etc.

If it is relaxation and pampering you want and you want to do the Sothern Caribbean, try the Golden. However, how are you defining relaxing? This is a VERY port intensive cruise with only one sea day. I am going on the cruise because I like the ports of call - very good choice of islands, but there are very few sea days to relax. So you may want to think about this when planning - unless you pretty much go to the beach and don't try to cram too much into the port stops, then it should be relaxing.

Good luck with your decision.

etc0414 Apr 19th, 2004 09:58 AM

We just returned from a 7 day RCCL southern carb. cruise. Fabulous. The Serendade of the Seas is only 10 months old; the stops were: St. Thomas, St. Maarten, St. Lucia, Antigua and Barbados. Our room was immaculate, food good, service friendly; we just loved it and are going again. Highly recommend it.

mels Apr 19th, 2004 04:48 PM

We just got back as well from a Southern Caribbean cruise on the Serenade of the Seas. ( RCCL )Beautiful ship,wonderful service. The two optional restaurants on the ship were great.
The breakfast and lunch & dinner buffets were very good however we were a little disappointed in the dinner menus as well as the flavor. Just as well we were eating to much anyway.

But the cruise was wonderful !!!!!!!

Lydel Apr 20th, 2004 04:49 PM

But Sara, be aware of Princess' Personal Choice/Anytime Dining.
It's not what it sounds like.
You have to make reservations with a concierge by phone in your state room ahead of time or you won't be admitted into any of the dining rooms.
If you requested fixed seating, through your travel agent ahead of time, you may
be safe with first or second seating. That is if there is room for you in fixed seating. If by chance you do get fixed seating you can switch from the fixed to the PC dining room.
There was a lot of confusion on our cruise in March and some people had to eat in the buffet on a formal night.
And on the cruise after ours, they ran out of food in the buffet.
Just be aware of these situations with Princess. I would choose RCCL if I were you. That's what we plan on doing and we've sailed with Princess many, many times.

newyorkgolfer41 Apr 20th, 2004 10:14 PM

I don't want to burst your bubble but the ships you're considering are not what most would consider if they want to be "pampered" (your words). I'm sure you'll have fun on any cruise ship but if you're looking for best service, luxury, pampering you may want to keep looking and move up to the luxury lines. The lines you're looking at will have children, not sure if that is OK or not??

MMSF Apr 21st, 2004 11:14 AM

But pampering cost $$. Princess, RCLL, Carnival, etc. cater to masses. If you want real luxury and pampering, and not stand in line in buffet lines, you need to pay $500+ per day (more likely $600) per person, vs $200- of the standard lines. You can't get luxury and service for nothing.