Princess vs. Celebrity - Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question for you cruisers out there. We are planning to go on a Mediterranean cruise this summer, and are looking at Princess (I think Grand Princess is the ship) or Celebrity (I think Millenium is the ship). Princess has the better itinerary for me, but I'm being told things by well meaning friends.<BR><BR>I am very picky about hotels, and knowing that, they are telling me to go Celebrity, not Princess. The only line I've cruised on has been Carnival to the Caribbean, and I was fine with that. Somehow my hotel issues don't seem to cross over to cruise ships! Anyway, what's the opinion - will Princess provide a good experience? Really appreciate any help. Thanks.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 05:06 PM

Don't throw out Holland America either (unless the itinerary isn't to your liking). I've sailed Princess and HAL both in Europe and felt the entire HAL experience was better. With this said though, I'd opt for Princess over Celebrity. Cruising in Europe is GREAT! Good Luck.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 05:52 PM

worldtraveler - my experience with a Med cruise is that the ship is of little consequence. Those things that really mattered in the Caribbean, didn't on the Med. The itinerary was so port intensive, that it left little time to partake in what the ship offered. We had one sea day and most of my family spent it napping and relaxing. On port days, we typically got up at 6:00 in order to get off at 7:00 to maximize our time in Florence, Rome, etc. We'd get back to the ship at 5:00, get ready for early dinner, maybe catch part of a show (mostly not) and go to bed; to start the whole process 8 hours later.<BR><BR>I've been on both the Grand and the Millie and both are wonderfull, new ships. Most crews switch out after arriving in Europe so in May and the first part of June service may slip a little; but it really doesn't matter when you're dog tired.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 11:00 AM

I have traveled both cruises..but not in the med. on them. Pesonally, I liked the food on the Princess better. Both ships had nice rooms, etc, but I thought the food was better on the Princess line.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 12:07 PM

I have sailed twice on each line and have a 3rd cruise planned with Celebrity. However all my experience is with Caribbean itineraries, not the Mediterranean. I prefer Celebrity slightly over Princess, but both are very good lines. I think the food is better overall on Celebrity and they have either a midnight buffet or gourmet bites each night. Also, the cabins are roomier with more closet space and just have a better layout than on Princess. We had a terrible room steward while on the Grand, but a wonderful one on the Sea Princess. The service on Celebrity has always been top notch across the board for us. The main thing that I don't like about Celebrity is that they are a bit strict on their dress code (evenings only) and are rather insistent that passengers adhere to their policies. Other than that though, they are great. <BR><BR>If I were comparing two cruises with similar itineraries/dates/cabin categories I would probably pick the one offering the better deal between these two lines. Both will be a huge step up from Carnival! Enjoy.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 01:01 PM

I have done a cruise on the Med on a Princess ship many moons ago and it was FABULOUS!! But in recent years, the food quality has gone down....<BR><BR>Celebrity is known for their good foods.....<BR><BR>What Peter said about it not mattering because you are tired is really not the case...You ARE tired , but you still want a ship that has some action at nite and a good dining room....<BR><BR>I personally think that Celebrity would be a better ship -if you want a mega ship--<BR><BR>You could also look into a small ship that does the Med- look at Windsurf (part of Windstar cruise lines). We did that ship 2 years ago and it was fabulous....330 pass. and open seating.<BR>No need for tux- Upscale casual....<BR>They usually offer 2 for 1 in the Med for June---as this ship is more money than Celebrity....But it is well worth it...<BR><BR><BR><BR>And what Lenore says is als true---<BR>CELBRITY or PRINCESS are light years better than Carnival....
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 01:01 PM

I have done a cruise on the Med on a Princess ship many moons ago and it was FABULOUS!! But in recent years, the food quality has gone down....<BR><BR>Celebrity is known for their good foods.....<BR><BR>What Peter said about it not mattering because you are tired is really not the case...You ARE tired , but you still want a ship that has some action at nite and a good dining room....<BR><BR>I personally think that Celebrity would be a better ship -if you want a mega ship--<BR><BR>You could also look into a small ship that does the Med- look at Windsurf (part of Windstar cruise lines). We did that ship 2 years ago and it was fabulous....330 pass. and open seating.<BR>No need for tux- Upscale casual....<BR>They usually offer 2 for 1 in the Med for June---as this ship is more money than Celebrity....But it is well worth it...<BR><BR><BR><BR>And what Lenore says is also true---<BR>CELBRITY or PRINCESS are light years better than Carnival....
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 08:39 AM

Don't chose by the ship, chose by the ports. We have sailed several different times in the Mediterranean and never been disappointed. Our favorite for overall value and a great cruise is Holland American. Princess would probably have a slight edge over Celebrity but neither is as nice as Holland American. Again, go with the itinerary that suits you best, not the ship. The cruiselines you're considering are all fine.