Uniworld Bordeaux, Vineyard & Chateau vs. Burgundy & Provence River Cruise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone been fortunate enough to have taken either or both of these cruises? We're considering doing one in June of 2015 and would appreciate some help in choosing.

Or, does anyone have an even better idea?

Bob
Old Apr 4th, 2015, 01:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you already visited any of these locations as a land based traveler? If not, I would put Burgundy and Provence ahead of Bordeaux, Chateux, etc. Add time in Provence at the end of your boat cruise, rent a car and explore the beautiful countryside and charming small villages.
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 08:33 AM

Check out Cash Peters's hilarious book, The Best Vacation Ever, The Highs and Woes of River Cruising in Provence. It's only available as an ebook ($7.00 on amazon.com). It chronicles his Uniworld cruise on the Rhone and gives a great insight into what river cruising is like.

FuelScience
Old Apr 25th, 2015, 11:56 AM

About 10 years ago, we did Burgundy vineyards by car; actually, from Epernay, Dijon, down to Beaune. It was harvest season and it was spectacular. We are doing Bordeaux in September. The thing is, the riverboats in Bordeaux only seem to go up to Paulliac and down to Cadillac, a total of about 60 miles; they then throw in a day trip to St. Emilion and an overnight over to Sarlat. The Dordogne seems to be everyone's favorite in this area, you simply will not see the best of the area cruising from Bordeaux. Soooo, we are doing another drive tour of this area -- Bordeaux, Medoc, St. Emilion, Sarlat, Rocamadour then heading south and east over to Provence. If you are set on a cruise, I'd pick Burgundy & Provence. The rivers around Bordeaux do not accommodate riverboats for any distance.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 07:03 PM

I did a Tauck Paris/Provence nine night city/river cruise in 2014 and returned recently from an Avalon seven night Tulip Time river cruise in The Netherlands/Belgium. Wanting to see more of France and loving river cruise travel, I am about to sign on for a Uniworld Bordeaux, Vineyards and Chateau week but first my plan is to spend a few days in Paris on my own and taking the TGV to Bordeaux to meet up with the cruise. I'm very aware that the actual river cruising mileage is less than usual in that area, but I love unpacking once, not being on a mega ship sharing space with thousands and I'll be touring a part of France that's new to me.

During the time spent in Bordeaux there are many choices for activities such as touring The Grand Bordeaux Opera House, perhaps taking a cooking class, strolling the city, or just enjoying leisure time on the ship.

Wish I'd discovered river cruising sooner because as a solo traveler the convenience of having excellent meals on board, daily walking tours in various new locations as we cruise along, being able to toddle off to my cabin after dinner or enjoy late evening entertainment in the ship lounge is my idea of a perfect safe and secure vacation - always with a convivial group as an added plus.
Old May 5th, 2015, 04:14 AM

I love river cruising and small-ship cruising. Grand Circle is usually my choice mostly because their "single supplement" is very low or free.
Their website leaves a lot to be desired, however, as do their telephone-only booking procedures.
Old May 5th, 2015, 06:49 AM

JaneB
Tauck does not charge a single supplement fee on their river cruises. Cabins are on lower deck with two fixed picture windows. My Paris/Provence river cruise with them was phenomenal, but pricey, as the quality is very high.The ship was very nicely appointed and there were 8 other singles as well as mother/daughters, single friends traveling together. It was easy to mingle or not, depending on my mood.

Uniworld has select cruise dates when the single supplement is dropped. I upgraded to a Juliet balcony cabin on theTulip Time river cruise I took in April for just a bit more than I would have paid if a single supplememt were charged.

Detest those outrageous single supplement charges. I do see more travel companies are realizing the singles market potential and are making adjustments in the right direction.