pre-cruise trip to Pisa?

Jan 30th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

pre-cruise trip to Pisa?

We are landing in Rome on May 18th afternoon for the May 19th Galaxy sailing from Rome (Civitavecchia).

We were thinking of going to Pisa very early morning on the 19th from Civitavecchia (we'll get a room there the previous night) to Pisa and back to Civitavecchia via train.

Has anyone done this? There is a direct train to Pisa from Civitavecchia and back, but should we trust the Italian train system? Is it worth the risk? My parents are old and really wanted to see Pisa, but we certainly don't want to miss the train.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance!
Jan 31st, 2008, 07:06 AM

Why don't you just take the train directly to Pisa from Rome on the 18th? It's not that much farther to Pisa than to Civitavecchia (perhaps 3 hours as opposed to 90 minutes if you get a good connection). Stay the night in Pisa, and then spend the morning of the 19th touring the city, and then take a train to Civitavecchia to catch your ship right after lunch.

It's impossible to know is if there might be a train strike in May, which would be your major concern. But if you watch the news carefully, you can always change your plans at the last minute. There's no need to buy the train tickets in advance.

My experience is that trains in Italy are often late, so don't cut it too close, but I think this is a doable plan.

If you want to play it super-safe, then book hotels in both Civitavecchia and Pisa for the 18th (cancellable without penalty, of course), and then if you find out there's to be some kind of Labor action, cancel the Pisa hotel. It just seems easier to me than taking an extra train trip that you don't really need to take.
Jan 31st, 2008, 07:08 AM

You might also post in the Europe forum. There are a lot of people there who are more knowledgable about Italian trains than I, and that Forum is more active, so you might get more feedback.

Search this Thread