Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Pre-Cruise Lodging in San Juan (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/pre-cruise-lodging-in-san-juan-114941/)

Betsy Mar 26th, 2001 08:14 PM

Pre-Cruise Lodging in San Juan

Hi <BR> <BR>We are cruising out of San Juan in April; I know very little about the city. We will have two nights there prior to the cruise and would like a quiet, inexpensive B&B or paradore that is within an easy taxi ride to the port. Alternatively, I would be interested in information about lodging in one of the chains such as Wyndham or any recommendations from someone who knows the territory. <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance.

Marilyn Mar 27th, 2001 06:58 PM

Did a post cruise at the Wyndham El San Juan Hotel last year. The bathtub had rust stains and a leaky faucet, one of the outside pools had black algae, and the shower drain in the womens spa was clogged.( we paid over $400.00!) Another party on our cruise had a pre-cruise at another Wyndham property and had to roll up towels under the shower door to keep the water from running into the room. Old San Juan is wonderful to visit-don't ruin it with a Wyndham property.

Bob Mar 28th, 2001 03:14 AM

We stayed at the Wyndham Old san Juan in january and it was pretty decent with the exception of the resturant. The waitstaff were surley and very inefficient, which in a way was ok be cause it saved us time money

Betsy Mar 29th, 2001 05:48 AM

Anyone else?

Cathy Mar 29th, 2001 02:26 PM

I will also be cruising out of San Juan, just in July. I called the Puerto Rico tourism department and asked them to send me the guide for hotels. They have pictures and price ranges and a brief description of each property. Another good resource is Frommer's guide to Puerto Rico. They have listed some great inexpensive B&B's that are not to far from Old San Juan. Frommers guides are usually very good - I have used them before and the information tends to be accurate. <BR>I am not going to pay a lot of money for substandard conditions.

hamlet Mar 29th, 2001 04:20 PM

Years ago I stayed at a hotel in Old San Juan called "El Convento." It was walkable to the shopping area and the port. I don't know if it's still around and if it still has the same name, but if you hear about a hotel that is a converted convent, than that's probably it.

JOANN Mar 30th, 2001 01:54 PM

We stayed at El Convento in Nov of 1999 and it was very nice, but not inexpensive. Good location and great restaurants. Worth looking into.

Paul Therault Apr 1st, 2001 11:06 PM

Hi Betsy,<BR><BR>You are booking a tad late to get a good price for a hotel.<BR><BR>Wyndam is fine since you can walk to the port acrossa the street (unless you are cruising Celebrity).<BR><BR>It is also in the heart of Old San Juan which is a delight.<BR><BR>There may be economy lodging at the Best Western but do not expect the Taj Mahal and is it a longer taxi ride to the port.<BR><BR>Paul