Port Canaveral Orlando _ what to do

Sep 21st, 2016, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Port Canaveral Orlando _ what to do

Hi,

Any suggestions, greatly appreciated. Our family of 4 ( kids 5 and 2) will be taking a cruise departing from port Canaveral. We plan to stay there one night or day. Any suggestions on things to do around it and a good or decent hotel to stay in for one night. Is the port walking distance from certain attractions? Thanks in advance.
Sep 21st, 2016, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention, our cruise is end of may 2017. . By the way, How far is the airport from the port?
Sep 22nd, 2016, 08:33 AM

Kennedy Space Center
Brevard Zoo
Twister Airboat Rides http://www.twisterairboatrides.com/
Cocoa Beach

Plus many more here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...42&postcount=4

"Is the port walking distance from certain attractions?"
No!

"By the way, How far is the airport from the port?"
45 miles
Sep 23rd, 2016, 05:15 AM

The nearest airport to Port Canaveral is in Orlando, and the travel time is about an hour. There's nothing within walking distance of the port, nor are there any hotels there. But you really do need transportation, so I'd consider doing a one-way car rental from the airport. Otherwise, there are plenty of shared van services that will take you to Cocoa Beach.

I don't think there's any way to really avoid driving if you want to explore the area but you can certainly get a hotel near the pier in Cocoa Beach, but that's not near the port. If you want to be near the port, there are fewer nearby restaurants and attractions.
Sep 23rd, 2016, 08:03 AM

Unfortunately there is nothing really to do in walking distance from the Port. Fortunately though, there is a ton of things to do around the area. Kennedy Space Center, Brevard Zoo, Cocoa Beach, and all the attractions in Orlando. As far as hotels go, check out www.goportcanaveral.com for packages that include hotel stay and all your transportation needs.

I personally enjoy staying in Orlando with the kids before cruising, much more for them to experience there.
Sep 23rd, 2016, 03:04 PM

Actually, Melbourne Airport is much closer than Orlando and MUCH easier. Depends on where you are flying from--our friends connect through Atlanta or Charlotte. Delta and US Air service Melbourne.

The airport is about 27 miles south of the port. Shuttles are $17 but you will want to rent a car at the airport if coming in a fay early and drop it at the port (leave a little bit extra time for this, I think all the car agencies are a few miles from the port and are very busy on sailing days). You'll get there but you may not get on the first shuttle van, which is free, same as at an airport).

The Kennedy Space Center is very interesting, you might get lucky and see a small launch, they are doing a lot of unmanned work now for telecommunications, etc.
Sep 27th, 2016, 10:30 PM
Original Poster

thanks for sharing your information.
Oct 1st, 2016, 02:24 PM

Brevard Zoo has a lot to offer: Kayaking, Giraffe & Bird Feeding and Ziplining

www.brevardzoo.org
https://www.treetoptrek.com/?tab=beginner