Perfect cruise for five college guys?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddies and I are going on a cruise for graduation, and we're worried about being the only young people onboard. We're planning on the Princess Western Caribbean cruise - will there be ANYONE else our age? I know they have "nightclubs," but will it be full of retired couples celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary!!??
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 07:43 PM

One word Carnival. This cruise line really draws the younger crowd.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 02:34 AM

Carnival has strict age policies, as do all the lines. Depending on your ages, it may be an issue.

I agree that for partying and casual cruising for guys your age, it is probably a good choice.

Old Apr 16th, 2005, 07:13 AM

For what you want, don't even look at another cruise company other than Carnival. Personally, I like Princess better, but I wouldn't go on it if I was a single guy.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 07:14 AM

Another thing to consider on any cruise line is number going - most of the less expensive cabins hold 2 people, and one person alone pays a huge surcharge/supplement. So an odd number of guys could present a problem
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 07:19 AM

To NYGiants27: We are taking Princess (Sapphire Princess) for the 1st time in August for an Alaskan cruise. Any advice dude?
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 08:58 AM

I've never been on an Alaskan cruise so I really can't help you. From what I heard from a few people who I know have been on one, no other cruise can compare. It's definitely on my "must do" list. As far as Princess the company, I sailed on the Golden Princess during its first year at sea. The ship was in great shape as you would expect from a new ship. The people working on the ship were all great. I wouldn't even be able to nitpick one problem with anyone working on the ship if you asked me too. Lastly, the crowd on the Alaskan cruises seem to be older than Caribbean cruises. For me, that wouldn't matter. I can have as good time with a 70 year old person as I can have with a 21 year old. Go with an open mind and you will; definitely have a great time.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 09:12 AM

Princess has the least age restrictions - (2) 18 year olds can share a cabin. On Carnival - they can not do this.

As far as will there be people your age - yes, will there be people celebrating their 25th anniversary - yes. Are you going to be on the Caribbean Princess?
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 10:03 AM

Thats good to hear NYG. Thank you. We do look forward to it.
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 11:27 AM

Yes, Princess is the only line which lets cruise after 18 years of age. And there will be enough chicks for 5 of you, dr_clocksta. Most of retired couples stay away from summer time.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 06:25 AM
JJ5

Not only in summer, because I was on Star Princess for West. Carib. cruise in Feb.'05 and the ship was just rocking with young people. I keep hearing how Princess is so sedate etc. and mostly over 50. Not my cruise. We left Feb. 13 and it's usually a time when the young people are in school, or have their kids in school. But on our cruise the population was at least 55% under 35 (I know because I asked) and the nightclub on top of the ship was going full tilt LATE. My new friend from Michigan (about 65 yrs old) walked in and was VERY embarrassed as it was dark and lots of "activity" was going on in the shadows beyond the dance floor. Don't think you will have a hard time finding young women on the Princess in summer. There was also a Country Western bar/venue that had line dancing and all kinds of live entertainment quite late.

My cruise was at least 33% from the UK on their "winter break" and also had a large proportion of Canadians, from all over that huge country including Calgary. We did personal choice dining and had a table for 10 at 6:30pm. Besides our group of 4 we ended up with some fun new friends from Japan and also from UK, Canada and Grand Rapids MI- that ate together all the time after the second day. And we didn't have to leave the table early for the "next" seating either. Sometimes we very having so much fun/lively conversation that we didn't leave until after the shows had already started.

On my cruise children were scarce, but a fairly large group of teens and older teens as well were quite visible- especially in the pools. I happen to believe that Princess demographic is changing. I think from talking to cruisers by me that a lot of the older people are now going back or to HAL. And I also think Princess is not as high on a scale of all cruise lines as it once was. IMHO it is much more like RCCL with better food and nicer decore now. I think the food was MUCH better than I thought it would be, especially the fish entrees. Staterooms with balcony are roomy, and larger than any cruise ship stateroom I had ever had previously. I was C710- BB category aft and only about 40 ft from an elevator. We LOVED our room. Balcony was extra wide and half covered- on the Caribe deck and straight up to the Buffet and fast to the best pool area, yet quiet as well for sleeping.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 10:45 AM

Carnival, out of Miami and to the Caribbean. Make sure it stops in Conzumel.