Passport needed for Alaska Cruise?

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 06:22 AM
Geri

Passport needed for Alaska Cruise?

I am a US citizen going on a Cruise to Alaska. Do I need a passport to get into Vancouver, Canada? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I have never done this before, and I know things have changed much after 9/11. Thanks for your help!

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 06:32 AM
AA

This was discussed here many times, so I know most people will agree with me. No, you do not need a passport to travel to Canada, Mexico and many Carribean Islands, BUT, in my opinion, you should get one and here is why:

Passports are good for 10 years, so the initial cost of about $85.00 +/-(not sure) is minimal in terms of future convinience.

Passports will get you through immigration quicker, whether in this country or any country you will travel through.

Not in this case, but if you ever travel to a region where many countries require passports, you will not be able to visit them on the spur of the moment, or in worse case scenario if you need to have a medical emergency lift to one of those countries if you are cruising in these areas.

So you could see that passports while not needed with our neighbors, make life easier for all involved.
Enjoy you cruise!

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 06:44 AM
Dianna

We are sailing on Nor. Sky end of May from Seattle and we do need our passports.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 07:08 AM
AA

Dianna,
unless you are a foreign national you do not need a passport to visit Canada, but I would still get one.

Here is the official policy from Norwegian Cruise Lines for their cruises:

Important Information Regarding Your Cruise

Please be advised that Norwegian Cruise Line passengers need the required travel documentation at embarkation. Previously, cruise line passengers have signed a release form acknowledging their U.S. citizenship, allowing boarding. Effective September 22, 2002 this will no longer be the case with Norwegian Cruise Line. Our policy states that any guest traveling without proper documentation will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund will be issued.

(Please note that the requirements listed below apply to all NCL cruises EXCEPT sailings in Europe, South America, as well as cruises from Hawaii calling at Fanning Island, The Republic of Kiribati. Passengers on these cruises must have a valid passport to travel on NCL.)

U.S. and Canadian citizens must provide PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP and PROOF OF IDENTITY for boarding NCL cruises.

PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP consists of one of the following:

Passport (preferred)
Original or state certified copy of a birth certificate (photocopies are not accepted)
Certificate of naturalization
Certificate of citizenship
Report of a birth abroad
PROOF OF IDENTITY consists of one of the following (applicable to everyone 16 years of age and older):

Valid driver's license that includes a photograph
Government identification card including a photograph and physical description
Permanent residents of the United States are required to carry their ARC cards for boarding. Also, a child traveling with an adult who is not the parent or legal guardian must possess a notarized parental/guardian consent letter that authorizes the minor to travel, and that further authorizes medical treatment in case of an emergency.

Furthermore, Canadian Entry Requirements stipulate that minors under the age of 18 traveling into Canada without both parents must have in their possession a notarized letter of consent that includes the actual dates of travel and signatures of both parents as authorization to do so.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter and thank you for sailing with Norwegian Cruise Line.

Various Resources:
To obtain an original birth certificate, you can contact your hospital of birth or the Vital Statistics Department of the County where you were born.

For more information on obtaining a passport, please visit http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html.

Every state issues identification cards, usually from each State's Department of Motor Vehicles. As an example, to obtain a Florida Identification card you could visit http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/ to find out more information.

Last updated on: October 16, 2002

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 11:01 PM
Paul Therault

Nice work AA.