Panama Canal cruise - visas etc...

Oct 8th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Panama Canal cruise - visas etc...

Am I right that for a US citizen on a cruise I DO NOT need visas for Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Jamaica?

Our cruise ends in Dominican Republic. This is where it gets confusing.

I need a visa, right? But what is the "travel card" that I can buy there if I don't have a visa, do I need special photos for that?

Flying home from Santo Domingo on the day of the cruise ship arrival.
Oct 8th, 2008, 01:47 PM

Faina - right you don't need a Visa for the cruise ports. This is what it says for Domincan Republic

Traveling without a passport

The DR has signed an agreement with the US and Canada that allows their nationals to enter without a passport or visa by purchasing a US$10 tourist card. You will need to present proof of citizenship - either an original birth certificate or certified copies with raised seal, an expired passport (if photograph still clearly resembles the bearer), US naturalization certificate or a signed US voter registration card.

Oct 8th, 2008, 01:50 PM

Sorry meant to add that the "traveling without a passport" is a little outdated. We did the cruise (canadians) and just needed the $10 travel card.
Oct 8th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Cool! Thanks a lot!

And for travel cards, no photos needed, right?

I'll tell Mr Again to save $10, not to lose it in the slut machines
Oct 8th, 2008, 10:15 PM

Hi Faina

No picture necessary - just one of you on a document (passport) that proves who you are. No problems. Enjoy your latest cruise. We just got off a 15 day Med repo cruise Copenhagen to Athens on the Rotterdam. It was great. (Got my 300 day HAL medallion) You would think they could loosen up a little and have a better perk than a medallion. Like maybe free internet like Princess. Who knows they may smarten up yet.
Oct 9th, 2008, 05:18 AM
cd

Faina
We are looking into booking a Panama Canal cruise for spring of 2009. Please post a report on your return. When are you going?
Oct 9th, 2008, 10:46 PM

I believe new rules will be in effect and a valid passport will be needed for everyone by Jan 1, 2009. No visas, just passports.

For the Caribbean, crusie ship passengers were given special landing priviledges at the port of calls (same day departures).

I started a thread a few months back as I was trying to find out visa information for a friend. You can search my posts and find that thread.

The long and short of the visa question is this:
For US and Canadian Citizens, if you have US or Canadian passports, you are good to go. For people with green cards, you need the green card and a valid passport fromsomeone (can be passport from almost any country with very minor exceptions i.e. some middle eastern and African countries).

For all the trips I took on Caribbean cruises, I left the ship with nothing more than my cruise card, driver's license, some cash and a credit card. My passport is in the cabin safe. Never been stopped and never been asked for my passport or picture ID. However, if you lose your cruise card, you are SOL and wll have problem getting back to the ship. They wll let you back in but you will have a lot of explaining to do.

Mr. Again can spent the $10 on the slut machine. I don't think that tourist card thing is needed if you are leaving the same day. Just tell him that he can't smoke on the ship any more and he may opt to stay home.
Oct 10th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Eschew, for us Santo Domingo is not a port stop - it's a final stop, and we are flying out of there, so a tourist card is needed.

CD: we're going in January, of course I will post a report!
Oct 10th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, the manager stopped by, in panic I closed instead of minimizing

Where were we? Oh, yes, we're taking Royal Caribbean from Los Angeles to Santo Domingo on January 4. Somebody else (Jacketwatch?) is going in February, similar route west-east.

Traveller, it must've been a wonderful trip! I'd love some day to cruise from Copenhagen north, maybe along Norway, must be beautiful up there.
Oct 10th, 2008, 12:35 PM

Faina - our cruise was wonderful and because it was a repo it was much more affordable. My brother did the cruise just before ours and we joined them in Copenhagen but they did the Baltic and thoroughly enjoyed it - although very hectic trying to cram in as much as they could in St. Petes and Berlin.

Do you know that I have cruised in so many wonderful areas of the world but my favourite remains Canada New England. If you haven't done it - I highly recommend it. Happy Cruising!!
Oct 10th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

I only did the land tour of New England "fall colors" it was magnificent.

Interesting, I would never thought of cruising to Canada!
Oct 10th, 2008, 02:28 PM

Faina - you should take the cruise sometime. If you take one mid October the prices go down as it is getting a little late in the season. The nice thing is that the ship isn't so crowded. Quebec City is a must to visit along with some of the maritime cities.
Oct 15th, 2008, 10:19 PM

Does most of the ships to Canada sail from New York?

I know this is a cruise forum, but I think a train tour would be more fun.
Oct 16th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

I saw some from Boston.
Oct 16th, 2008, 02:58 PM

Eschew - Yes, there are cruises from other cities besides New York. A train trip would be lovely too but I think sailing up the St Lawrence and the Saguenay during the fall when the leaves had turned was one of the most memorable sights for me. Why not do both?
Oct 23rd, 2008, 04:05 PM

Do they have a river cruise for the St. Lawrence? Then a train ride from Montreal up and a river cruise down would be ideal.

After that, rent a car and onward to Nova Scotia, PEI and beyond.