Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

packing a bottle of rum and what to wear?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

posted 05-29-03 03:44 PM
i would like to bring a bottle of rum/wine with me on my june cruise. i have done this years ago, via a plastic bottle in my checked through luggage. to enjoy on my own time in my own room/balcony. where in san juan can i get a bottle of rum/wine. i will arrive san juan airport, take taxi to dock. is there a place on the cruise dock area to buy spirits? also, if i buy a bottle of island spirits at port can i somehow do the same?

and last, what is considered the least formal but acceptable attire for three adult children, my spouse and i 1. at a casual dinner and 2. a formal dinner. i want to avoid extra luggage and plan not to take tuxes and gowns. are dress shirts and a tie appropriate for the men and pant suits/dress for the girls? we will be on RCCL's adventure of the seas (RCCL).
thanks alot!

Old May 29th, 2003, 06:14 PM

When we sailed out of San Juan on Princess, there was a liquor store right at the peir. We tasted and bought rum punch, which we took aboard with no problem.
My husband wears Dockers and a golf shirt on casual nights. He wears a tux or dark suit for formal nights, and wouldn't be comfortable in anything less. For casual nights, women often wear sundresses or nice pants and top, capris and twin sets, etc. Formal night dress for women seems to range from nicer dresses and pantsuits all the way to ballgowns.
Old May 30th, 2003, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

thanks abram. now i have a feel for how to dress up a whole family. we will not do tux's but perhaps suits/jackets.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 10:52 AM

If you don't do a tux, then on formal night you should revise your thinking from "perhaps" to positively a suit for the men. It is all spelled out in the info that comes with your tickets.

As Abram implied, if the man is underdressed on formal night, he will not feel comfortable because it will be obvious that he is not dressed appropriately.
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 09:43 AM

As long as you put the alcohol in your checked luggage, you can bring on whatever you want without worrying about putting it in different bottles. The only posts I've ever read where people had a problem was when they also had knives or very large scissors in their bags--a no-no.

Have a great trip!