Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Our first Ocean cruise: Seabourn Sojourn Alaska Cruis (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/our-first-ocean-cruise-seabourn-sojourn-alaska-cruis-1672304/)

Kathie Sep 28th, 2019 09:47 AM

Our first Ocean cruise: Seabourn Sojourn Alaska Cruis

We have never seen ourselves as cruisers - we like to go someplace new and immerse ourselves. Our only cruise experience until now was a week-long Pandaw cruise on the Chindwin River in Northern Burma. It was perfect for us - a mere 10 staterooms on the boat, stops in small villages that get no other visitors - our kind of trip!

So why did we decide to take a Seabourn cruise? I developed Parkinson's disease a few yers ago. My primary symptom is difficulty walking. We hoped that this might be our new approach to travel. I purchased an electric scooter, an Atto, made in Israel, which is beautifully designed. I refer to it as my Telsa.

What you have read about Seabourn Cruises is correct: smaller than average ships, largest standard staterooms in the business, focus on service, excellent food. It sounded like it had real possibilities for us!

Kathie Sep 28th, 2019 10:23 AM

We choose a 14 day cruise to offer the maximum exposure to the scenery. We got a preview of that the first morning we awoke to see the glaciers out our windows. We had a balcony state room with big sliding glass doors, offering a great view of the mountains, the water, the glaciers.

The ship offers several dining venues, all of which are "free" (no supplemental charges). The Thomas Keller restaurant does require reservations. There is no assigned seating or assigned dining times. You eat where you want to eat, when you want to eat. Room service is also always an option.

We were given several hundred dollars in on-board credits, so we spent some of these on a "serene pass". which allows free access to the steam room and the heated recliners. We used this every day we were on the cruise.

Unfortunately, a week into the cruise, I got sick. I developed a UTI and Bronchitis and felt terrible. I can't really blame the ship for either of these maladies. Fortunately, we purchased travel insurance. We opted to buy "Seabourn Shield" which certainly provided comprehensive insurance for us.

shouldbewriting Sep 28th, 2019 03:05 PM

Very sorry to hear about your health issues and that the cruise was cut short; glad that you at least got a week. Best of luck in coping with this...

thursdaysd Sep 29th, 2019 06:58 AM

Sounds like a nice ship, did you decide cruising will work for you?

So sorry you got sick! How did getting home work?

tripplanner001 Sep 29th, 2019 07:08 AM

Oh no! Sorry you fell ill during your trip, Kathie. I hope you and Cheryl were able to enjoy some of the scenery and have a sense of what is possible for future travels.

Kathie Sep 29th, 2019 09:21 AM

The cruise line expedited our leaving the ship at Sitka and getting our flights back to Seattle. They would have made all of the arrangements for us, but Cheryl felt she could do it faster on her own.

While our experience with the cruise was limited, we did not feel we had found our "new way to travel." We like to have enough time in a place to get a real feel for it. Obviously, this doesn't happen on a cruise. And this was a different kind of cruise. we were there for the scenery, not for the culture. Might we do another "scenery-focussed" cruise? Perhaps.

jacketwatch Sep 29th, 2019 09:22 AM

Sorry to hear of this. :sob:
"Scenery focused cruise" Ok so Antarctica and the Norwegian fjords come too mind.
I am glad it wasn't motion sickness so that perhaps another type of cruise may be in the offing.
Good luck!!

Kathie Sep 29th, 2019 03:44 PM

The Norwegian Fjords and Antartica were the two I came up with as well, jacketwatch. We had no problems with motion sickness despite one almost 24-hour period of very rough seas. Everyone else on the cruise had taken previous Seabourn cruises, but all reported that the rough seas we experienced were the worst that they had experienced on a Seabourn ship.

cherylmarlandphotography.smugmug.com/Travel-Galleries/Alaska-Seabourn-Cruise-Sept-2019/

tripplanner001 Sep 29th, 2019 05:07 PM

Definitely go to Antarctica if you can. We’ve had the fortune of traveling to many corners of the world and nothing else compares, especially if you select an itinerary that includes South Georgia. The scenery, the wildlife, the journey itself - it’s unforgettable.

JessicaBr Sep 30th, 2019 02:16 AM

Hi, It's hard to really experience a city when you are only there for a day. If you like to try cruising one more time, maybe book a short cruise and add a few days before and after your cruise.

Sassafrass Sep 30th, 2019 04:33 AM

There are a few cruises that go only to Bermuda and stay there several days, so you can get off and explore every day, even into the night if you wish. One is Royal Caribbean Empress of the Seas. It is very small and old, but was refurbished to use for Cuba. Now that they can’t go to Cuba, they are going to Bermuda.

thursdaysd Sep 30th, 2019 05:02 AM

I'm not a cruise person, at least to date, but I did enjoy taking Hurtigruten up the Norwegian coast. Not your usual cruise ship, but quite comfortable. I also enjoyed a couple of days going up the Chilean coast, but that was a very basic working boat.

Also, I was just reading a book on accessible travel, you might find the author's web site useful: https://emerginghorizons.com/

jacketwatch Oct 1st, 2019 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie (Post 16993652)
The Norwegian Fjords and Antartica were the two I came up with as well, jacketwatch. We had no problems with motion sickness despite one almost 24-hour period of very rough seas. Everyone e lse on the cruise had taken previous Seabourn cruises, but all reported that the rough seas we experienced were the worst that they had experienced on a Seabourn ship.

cherylmarlandphotography.smugmug.com/Travel-Galleries/Alaska-Seabourn-Cruise-Sept-2019/

Beautiful pics! Thank you. Makes me want to go back to Alaska!

Is that your scooter the officer is sitting on ;)

mlgb Oct 1st, 2019 06:41 PM

Nice photos! Were you able to get off the ship at all? I like the Alaska cruises because there is a balance of sea days with something to see (usually) and full days in port.

sartoric Oct 2nd, 2019 07:24 PM

Sorry to hear about your health issues Kathie and I hope you can take another cruise soon.
Beautiful photos, thank you.

Marija Oct 24th, 2019 03:46 AM

I’m so sorry that the sailing wasn’t smooth...