Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   One way or round trip in Alaska? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/one-way-or-round-trip-in-alaska-793947/)

klutt22 Jul 5th, 2009 11:35 AM

One way or round trip in Alaska?

Hi all!!!

Planning a 2010 August Alaskan cruise with my mom, a little mother daughter get away. I have a feeling that North/South bound one way cruises are better then round trip from Seattle or Vancouver? Heard the college fjord was a must see and round-trips don't get up that far, please advise, thank you so much!!!!

SDGlenn Jul 6th, 2009 09:12 AM

College fjord is definitely worth seeing, though there's great scenery all the way up. The real advantage of a one-way, however, is the chance to take an add-on package in Alaska, if one is available.

BudgetQueen Jul 6th, 2009 03:38 PM

I don't recommend the "add on " interior packages. IF up to it, it is definately superior to go independent.

As for the question, how much time do you have , and would you be adding another week for interior Alaska travel??? I don't do one ways unless I am. Consider taking advantage of being all the way there.

Round trips can offer a lot of excellent sailng adventures packed into 7 days. So all your options are good choices.

Better, perhaps would be, to do your homework. Find out about ports and what they can offer you. Find out about glaciers, and what your priority is to see them. Look at routes. Head to your library and take out Fodor's Alaska, and Alaska By Cruiseship.

Eschew Jul 7th, 2009 04:02 PM

If it is going to be your first cruise to Alaska and that is going to be the last, go one way, addd on trips prior or after in Alsaka. North or south bound does not make a difference.

If you plan to return, inside passage is a good start.
Almost all the ships stops by Juneau, Ketchiken and Skagway.

It also depends on what type of "activity" you like and do you plan to return.

muttimommy Jul 7th, 2009 10:14 PM

go one way. and then go up to anchorage and then up to denali. if it's your first and last trip, well worth the time.

klutt22 Jul 8th, 2009 04:14 AM

Thank you so much everyone!!! Unfortunately won't have the time to do Denali (leaving 3 kids at home with the hubby to do this). I hope to return, but life is busy.

Eschew Jul 9th, 2009 04:12 PM

If you plan to return, whatever you choose is fine. You'll pick up where you left off or missed.
South bound offer best price plus day light while at inside passage. However, to me, it feels like I'm going the wrong way. I like North bound as you "move" towards Alaska, like going on a road trip and getting closer and closer to the destiantion and then, you are there.
Inside passage big plus is you don't have to fly in or out of Alaska. If you look hard enough, some ships do go quite far North on inside passage cruise, usually from Vancouver. Hubbard is a decent alternative.