One Day Before in San Juan?

Aug 7th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

One Day Before in San Juan?

We are cruising out of San Juan in February on RC. As we are in DC and weather is unpredictable, we think it would be good to fly out the day before. Would love advice on:

1. Recommendation for nice hotel (under $200) and distance to/from port.

2. Things you can see and/or do in a few hours the afternoon before or morning of the cruise (arriving mid-afternoon).

Thanks!!
Aug 7th, 2006, 03:17 PM

Sleeepy, I agree that going a day early is the only thing to do in Feb. We have done it several times. IMHO there are few good hotels in San Juan. We have stayed at the Caribe Hilton and the Intercontinental, both of which were clean, quiet and comfortable but more than your allotted $200 in February. Maybe you can find a sale. Easy cab ride from airport and to ship. There are a couple of little local restaurants across the street from the Intercontinental for breakfast or dinner. The Hilton is sort of by itself but we loved their little lunch restaurant at their spa.
I don't know what to recommend for sightseeing, we just enjoyed the pool and beach having been there before.
Aug 9th, 2006, 02:39 AM

Go to El Moro! This is the BIG fort at the entrance to the harbor, you'll pass it as you cruise from the harbor and can probably see it from the air, on left side of the plane. I can't tell you how many hundreds of years ago it was built but it really is something to see. Can'tt remember the other fort near by but El Moro is the one to see first! And we could see it from the ship in port, in front and up from ship.
We've also been to the rain forest and can't recomend that unless you like trees, also went to a beach in front of a hotel but didn't feel safe leaving our carry-ons on beach if we went swimming. Did alll these things when we had a late flight home.
Aug 9th, 2006, 05:46 AM

The "other" fort os San Cristobal I think. El Morro is worth the trip. As for a hotel consider ESJ towers, the family style or apt. style hotel next to the El San Juan. Its more affordable, in a good location and close to the docks.
Aug 9th, 2006, 12:34 PM

I would recommend Priceline.
Aug 11th, 2006, 01:18 PM

I second Kfusto--Priceline is the way to go for San Juan. You can generally get the Caribe Hilton (a nice resort) for under $100. I got a buddy of mine in for $75/night once.

Before you bid, go to www.betterbidding.com and/or www.biddingfortravel.com

These are sites where people post their Priceline bids and the results. You can look up San Juan, and see what people are bidding for a resort & what the result is.

As to what you can do, the forts in Old San Juan are the right call for a few hours' diversion.

Enjoy!