On the way to the Equinox

Old Oct 14th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the way to the Equinox

So we got a bit of a surprise at O'Hare to start off with. UAL changed our connecting to FCO from EWR to Dulles. And we got no notice. Yep I checked the flight status the day B4 and there were no changes. Well that meant we lost our seats and had to be in separate rows and in middle seats. So I was between grumpy and grumpier. The latter was a pain. When I accidentally let the strap of my shoulder bag fall on his clavicle he acted like he got hit with a karate chop. Oh well. It was 8'hrs. With this guy. BTW UAL pales in comparison to Turkish who we took to IST last yr. Turkish gives you more room and free booze. UAL even on intl. flights charges for booze. So what did I do? Upon arrival to our hotel in Civitavecchia I upgraded our return to econ. plus.

We are relaxing in the San Giorgio hotel now after a wonderful meal at their restaurant. We had fish, osso buco and risotto and it was very good. The service is great, the hotel people and friendly and after two limoncellos, one complimentary we had a nice stroll outside in the cool night air and are wondering why we are so wide awake now, about 2200 local time. Darn jet lag! .

Anyway who cares. We're on vacation.

Tomorrow is embarkation. Stay tuned.
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 06:07 PM

Keep us all posted.

Bon Voyage !!!!
Old Oct 14th, 2012, 08:39 PM

Can't believe it was exactly two years ago this week and getting ready to go to Citavecchia to board the Equinox.The Equinox is a "happy" ship which I felt was due to the Captain and thus an outstanding crew. Jacketwatch... please, oh please have some more lemoncello for me, it seems you just had one of my favorite meals, osso bucco. Happy sailing..
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys. So PM bout how many limoncellos should I have for you?
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Original Poster

So check out is in one hr. BTW does anyone remember that iconic photo from WW II with that sailor planting a huge kiss on a nurse during a VJ day parade in NYC? Anyway there is a huge statue in color of that right here in Civi. I just did not expect to see that here.
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 03:31 AM

jacketwatch..the creme of limoncello is my favorite...have at least two or three. Talk about sharing on this site if I remember correctly I have a recipe somewhere on this computer for a homemade recipe for limoncello that one of our long time posters was kind enough to share. I'll have to check it out, do any of you regular posters remember?
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 05:24 AM

Have fun! Waiting at SMF for one of our flights to Istanbul. Will wave at the Equinox while it is in Istanbul. DH and I are on the Equinox Oct. 26. Leave some booze for us!
Old Oct 15th, 2012, 09:37 AM

On the road again ... surprised that Sue gave you free time to do a TR while still on the road! I thought the two of you would be out running about spending freely and adding to teh economic recovery of the Euro zone ... lol

Keep the TR coming.
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

A few quick thoughts as minutes here R $$

The San Giorgio hotel,in Civi. Was great. Loved it.

The Equinox is the best ship we have ever been on.

Food so far is very good.

We had a toast to Nigel last night at the martini bar which is wheremwemfirst met him last yr. on the Connie.

We R having a great time and I must sleep as its 0300'and the jetnlagmis still with me. Gotta get going early to get breakfast a d tender tickets for Santorini.

A More detailed report to,follow when Imget some free wi if.

Ciao! :
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Sorry about the typos! Gotta try to sleep.
Old Oct 16th, 2012, 08:50 PM

In Istanbul now. You are going to love this city. Woke up at 6A with the call to prayer.
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Original Poster

We spent 3 days there last yr. I agree that it's great. Can't wait to see it again.
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 07:07 AM

I got the borderguards from Syria waiting for you jacketwatch !!

Have a good time in Istanbul. You know your way around there now !
Old Oct 17th, 2012, 08:41 PM

Saw the MSC Divina yesterday. Waiting for the Equinox to arrive. Weather is perfect.
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 06:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Sailing along with you and looking forward to your next post.
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Hi guys. We got back 10/30. It was a bit helter skelter. After a few days in Madrid post cruise we were supposed to leave the 29th but as our connect to Chi was in NJ that was cancelled and UA rescheduled us for Nov 4 but that was out as we both have to work on the 5th. Calling the local # in Madrid for UA was futile. You had seemingly permanent wait times. One gal we met said she was on hold for 4 hrs! with no reply. They did not respond to my emails either so ultimately we rebooked air back on Lufthansa on our dime ($2300.00) and came back on the 30th. Had we waited another day to book the return the price then was over 3K so I am glad we did it sooner.

UA yesterday said we get a refund for the return portion we did not use so that came to about $1000.00 so that helps. Anyway we figured it was about $700.00 net after calculating the extra hotel and food and entertainment expenses so coming back 5 days sooner was well worth it. I did have travel insurance too so I am beginning the claim process.

BTW I tried to book a one way. Forget it! The prices were ridiculous so I booked a RT. Yesterday I called Lufthansa to see if I could get something for not using the return and explained the circumstances thinking they could do something but was told that by not intending to use the return I had committed fraud! Little did I know that was the case so I said that and told the agent this was between us, right, wink, wink and to cancel it to open seats for others. Live and learn! TR to follow. The cruise was our best ever!!
Old Nov 4th, 2012, 07:44 PM

Hey Jacket, if you haven't actually cancelled that return already, you could use it to get to Europe and take a TA cruise back to the states.
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Original Poster

Actually we did. Not a bad thought though.