Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   On-line cruise discount sites to Alaska? (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/on-line-cruise-discount-sites-to-alaska-780335/)

WFT Apr 21st, 2009 04:58 AM

On-line cruise discount sites to Alaska?

We're looking for a cruise to AK this summer (DH & I). Are there any sites you recommend for cruise discounts? Don't want to pay full price if we don't have to. So far I'm overwhelmed with all the choices in cruise lines, itineraries, etc. Thank you for all previous posts on these topics. I now know a one-way cruise is better and that HA and Princess are good choices.

cruisin_tigger Apr 21st, 2009 10:14 AM

I always use vacationstogo.com. You have to sign up but its free and under the 'find a bargain' you can narrow it down pretty good by their categories.

Dayenu Apr 21st, 2009 11:07 AM

Maybe affordabletours? I got 10% discount on land tours several times, they should offer cruise discounts too.

BudgetQueen Apr 21st, 2009 01:53 PM

For shore excursions I NEVER recommend booking agents in Alaska. It is always superior booking direct with vendors. Booking agents screw up all the time, and have no clue about Alaska outside the printed descriptions.

As for booking a cruise- you HAVE to have your exact cruise selection and cabin decisions made by you first. Then look at cruise discounters and compare the TOTAL prices. If you want to book based on price alone- you can NOT need any hand holding from a TA.

Once booked, get the cruiseline booking number and verify your booking direct with the cruiseline. Can call or online. ALWAYS pay with a credit card.

BudgetQueen Apr 21st, 2009 01:53 PM

Addition- THEN keep checking pricing trends YOURSELF. If you find a drop, immediately contact the booking agent and request an adjustment.

Bon_Bon Apr 21st, 2009 05:01 PM

Usually all pricing on cruises are the same. The only time your going to get a discount is if there is a sale (and then any agent or site can give you that pricing) or if the agency has booked group fare and is selling it at a discount. I can check the same cruise on my site and several others and get the same price every time.

Now if you want a discount, then be flexible with your dates. The best times to go are at the beginning of the season (May) and the end (September). Remember that every kid is off of school from June through August so all families will be going on their long vacations then and there will be little to no pricing discounts then. But if you wait and get a repositioning cruise in September you could get a sweet deal.

But there are other ways to save money that is not on the price of the cruise. Like ask your agent for a cruise with perks like stateroom credits for onboard stuff like drinks. Or discounted airfare. I live in Ft. Lauderdale. So getting to the Pacific NW is expensive. I would gladly pay full price on a cruise and get the discount on airfare any day.