Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

"OCEANA" Passengers and Crew Stricken With Virus!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Eric

CNN hasreported that 212 passengers and crew aboard the Oceana have contracted a gastorintestinal disease as the ship sails thru the Caribbean.A team from the CDC in Atlanta has boarded the ship in Barbados.The ship departed FtLauderdale Nov 29 and is scheduled to return to FtLauderdale Dec 13.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 06:29 AM
Pamela

Eric--<BR>Are you sure you have your facts correct??<BR> What cruise line is the ship &quot;Oceana?&quot;

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 06:32 AM
xxx

I heard about this last week. I think they went out again on another cruise and this is the second time on this same ship. Yes, it is on CNN news page right now. (either that or it is old news.)

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Eric

Pamela<BR>P&amp;O Cruises.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Pamela

I heard about the Oriana--P&amp;O-- with 100 ill on board (they all came from the same chartered flight from the United Kingdom).<BR> And now you say Oceana also?<BR>Just when we thought the virus had run its course.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Lew

The CNN story (dated 12/9/02)is:<BR><BR>http://www.cnn.com/2002/TRAVEL/12/09/cruise.illness/index.html<BR>

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Ron

Well, here we go again.<BR>Flee for your lives---head for the hospital as fast as you can-- run don't walk!<BR>It (whatever it is ) is advancing upon us at warp speed.<BR><BR>By the way, saw where in Alberta , Canada at a elem. school of approx. 500 students there was an outbreak of this virus that affected 100 students. That's approx. 20%---no news headlines about this--- course a school with 20% sick and a ship with 2-3 % sick are different, right??<BR><BR>Went to get my hair cut yesterday. Now my rt. eye lid is sore and feels like a sty or something is coming. Have called both my attorneys ( I keep two on retainer, as one never knows when one will have a chance to sue)to get on with filing a lawsuit asap. I'm sure whatever it is, I HAD to get it at the barber/beauty shop.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Grumpy

This is OLD news. It was reported on Dec 5th--5 days ago. At that time, it was also reported that those sick all came from a charter flight originating in the UK. The UK has had a bout of Norwalk virus, so guess they should sue the queen.<BR><BR>Another example of CNN with nothing to say simply updating a story and posting it as if new.<BR><BR>How many of you thought &quot;what! Another ship? That makes a thousand!

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Pamela

&quot;The only ship still under investigation is P&amp;O’s Oriana, which had more than 100 travelers report symptoms of Norwalk. .... says that virtually everyone afflicted arrived on the same charter air flight from the United Kingdom where Norwalk is spreading amongst residents there. <BR><BR>The CDC sent an investigator to meet Oriana, which is sailing a Caribbean itinerary, in Barbados on Saturday. While it was reported on CNN that the port health authority of Barbados refused to allow Oriana’s ill passengers to disembark during that port-of-call, tourism representatives today were unable to confirm that fact (and a P&amp;O spokeswoman disputed the story).&quot; <BR> Above quote from CruiseCritics travel forum.........old/new???

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Grumpy

Your quote is from CNN. The last post on this topic in cruise critics was 12-07-02.<BR><BR>So you are quoting the source I found objectionable to prove it is so. huh?

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Grumpy

I stand corrected. Your quote, almost word for word as in CNNs report, was from cruise critics.<BR><BR>BUT........<BR><BR>You just picked out one part to prove your point that it was New news. Here is the lead to the article:<BR><BR>&quot;Norwalk Ebbs Away<BR> <BR>&quot;It appears that, for now, anyway, Norwalk-like outbreaks are no longer bedeviling cruise lines. Centers for Disease Control &amp; Prevention spokesman Dave Forney reports that Holland America’s Amsterdam and Disney’s Magic -- both having sat out one cruise to prevent further spread of the viral illness -- are sailing with a no-higher-than-normal percentages of ill passengers. So, too, is Carnival’s Fascination, which has had “just a few cases, nothing more than normal,” Forney says.&quot; <BR><BR>Quite a different thought, huh?<BR> <BR>

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Pamela

Grumpy--Actually I'm not arguing with anyone. My comment was that Eric was reporting on the OCEANA. I found the article that I quoted was about the ORIANA.(old news/new news??) or SAME news? same ship??

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Lew

Pamela--your posting got me curious.<BR><BR>The CNN article specified the P&amp;O Oceana. The cruise critic piece, referencing the CNN article, specified Oriana. According to the P&amp;O cruise web-site, the Oriana is in Europe and will start it's world cruise from Southhampton on Jan 5, 2003.<BR><BR>It's all very confusing. Since both Cruise critic and CNN are saying the same thing, my bet is Cruise critic got their ships mixed up.<BR><BR>If it is the Oceana, then this was reported on 12-05-02 and the CNN article is an update.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 12:33 PM
hugo

Isn't the Oceana the former Ocean Princess and sailing from Ft. Lauderdale? I very much think there was a mixup on the ship names, as Lew pointed out. This last report seems to be merely an update. Wasn't that particular sailing hauling a lot of British pax. and wasn't the illness tracked to something other than the ship?

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 01:03 PM
DoctorFeelGood

No ship of any discription has &quot;caused&quot; any of the viruses!!!!!! The viruses were brought on board by infected passengers.It is unfortunate that it happened on a cruise ship,albeit over and over and over.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 10:47 PM
Paul Therault

P&amp;O owns the two ships Oriana and Oceana. The Oceana is the former Ocean Princess built in 2000. The Oceana is not the ship of Oceana Cruise Lines which bought two of the old Renaissance ships. <BR><BR>Confusing eh?<BR><BR>Paul