Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Obsessing about What to Pack (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/obsessing-about-what-to-pack-766456/)

marlib1951 Feb 10th, 2009 01:35 PM

Obsessing about What to Pack

I know this has been discussed and discussed but I still have questions. We are going on the Coral Princess inside passage Alaska cruise. We have asked for the anytime dining option. What do we need to wear to the dining room at night? On the formal nights we will eat at the buffet, so that won't be a problem. But just what do people wear for "resort casual"? We really want to wear jeans but... Would khaki pants with a sweater set do for women? Or do I need black pants and some slinky top? I am more of a L.L. Bean kinda girl. For my husband would khaki pants and a polo shirt do? We really thought about wearing our fleece and jeans...HORRORS! We don 't want to pack a bunch of stuff, we are also doing a road trip afterwards. Anyway, I would love to hear from those of you who have been on the Alaska Coral Princess Cruise! What was your experience? What did people wear?

BudgetQueen Feb 10th, 2009 05:43 PM

Overall jeans aren't appropriate in the dining rooms, although you will see them. Khakis are popular and would be fine, mix and match. In my opinion you need to be well prepared in outside attire, layers, lined jacket, knit hat, gloves and rain gear.

gail Feb 10th, 2009 09:08 PM

We were on Coral Princess last June and hace also been on 3 other cruises (warm water). Dress on this cruise was far more casual than others.

First - daytime. Anything that is warm and comfortable, in layers. LL Bean style is perfect.

"Formal" night - any kind of dress or even dressy pants. Fleece and jeans would not be appropriate, but nice khakis and pressed shirt/sweater would be fine. Many woman did wear a skirt for dinner, but it was not essential. If your husband could throw in a sports jacket he might feel he fit in more, but they would not turn him away in polo shirt.

We spent a week on land prior to cruise and found this the most impossible trip to pack for. Besides all sorts of temperature variations, we had the issue of clothing for cruise. We ended up bringing a small extra suitcase that held just dress-up clothes that we then did not touch during the non-cruise portion of the trip. Not a lot of items (there were 4 of us) - a dressier pair of shoes, one pair of nice pants, husband's jacket.

Best article of clothing I threw in at the last minute - a lined waterproof wind-breaker. We went in June and hit lots of cool mist and fog.

Aristotle Feb 11th, 2009 04:09 PM

We have never been on Princess, but I think that lines in the same category are similar. I don't think I've seen jeans on a cruise. The cruise lines would do us all a favor by eliminating or simplifying the dress codes to reflect what real people do in real life. I never see ties in even fine dining restaurants any more. Or the Opera or Symphony for that matter. Tuxes etc. are for the rich or pretentious.

marlib1951 Feb 12th, 2009 04:20 AM

Thanks for the advice. As I said, we will skip the two formal nights. I am just concerned about the informal, "resort casual" nights in the dining room. I had also heard that the Alaska cruise was a little less formal. Well, we won't wear our jeans and fleece to the dining room!

Aristotle Feb 15th, 2009 11:58 AM

Resort informal - I take khakis and some decent sport shirts - knit or woven. My wife takes some slacks, skirts and tops. This not 1920's England with a "proper" out fit for every hour of the day. Far too much is made of dressing. I think that the cruise lines are just trying to avoid looking like a high school. There are a lot of snobs cruising. But they're also at ski resorts and beaches and any where else that only the rich or the indebted populate. they will always try to make you feel less than they are. Relax and have a good time.

marlib1951 Feb 16th, 2009 12:45 PM

Aristotle, thanks! I am thankful that it is not "1920's England"! Does this mean I can put the steamer trunk back in the attic?

bdjtbenson Feb 18th, 2009 11:20 AM

First cruise we went on we packed the tux and two formal gowns. We won't do that again.

Now for formal, I wear a black blazer and black pants with a white shirt, black tie, red pocket square and plain black walking shoes. DW is taking one coctail dress and one little black dress. We will still be above average in the dressing up department.

For non-formal nights, khakis and some form of button up shirt or nice sweater are perfect. A polo shirt will be okay too, especially if it's worn under a blazer.

DiG Feb 19th, 2009 06:52 AM

We have done it all ways and are in the same position as you are.

For the Alaska cruise part only we are each bringing 1 pr shoes. Extras for him are a dark blazer & tie, slacks, with a solid button shirt. For me a black skirt and 1-2 tops or a black dress, either works with a nice pr of earrings, along with a wrap or a short black jacket.

The shoes will take up the most space as our clothes all pack wrinkle free and light.

We also are doing anytime dining but will feast on at least 1 formal night enjoying the free appetizers & champagne, and the food offered in the main dining room is usually different than from the other nights menus. We're paying for it so we figure we'll enjoy it.

DiG Feb 19th, 2009 06:53 AM

I mean 1 additonal pr of shoes.

mecky Feb 22nd, 2009 11:19 PM

Hi Marlib 1951,

We are also going on the Coral Princess inside passage Alaska cruise this year and we also have the question what wearing during the formal nights. (We also have plans for a road trip in Alaska after the cruise.) Although there were a already lot of comments I've read your question and the answers again with pleasure.
May I ask you which tour exactly you will make? Perhaps we can meet each other for a drink on the ship???? We will start in Vancouver 1st of June this year.
Regards
Mecky