Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Not your typical question about food on cruises :)

Jun 24th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

We'll sail the Caribbeans for the first time, and I cannot understand if the food on the private islands is "free" or not.

Reading about Stirrup Cay (we'll be on Norwegian) and in one of the reports it mentions ship's staff brought lunch on the island. The author didn't mention how much, can I assume it's included?

Maybe it was a special cruise, and on regular cruises passengers have to pay for food? Just curious. I know I will know when on the island, but it's 1/2 a year away, I will die from anticipation
Jun 24th, 2009, 01:33 PM

Cruiseline food on private islands is included in cruise fare. We cruised on NCL last winter and food included basic grilled stuff, salad, sides, etc. Drinks and sodas are extra as are rentals of watercraft and equipment. Chairs are free for use.

The ship is also nice during this stop - everyone goes to the island and the ship feels practically empty.
Jun 24th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Cool!
Jun 24th, 2009, 04:16 PM

Yes Gail is correct. The food on the private islands is free. And most private islands are just an extension of the ship. Meaning that your room key can be used for purchases like drinks and t-shirts.

The cruise line staff will get off the ship and usually have a BBQ or something like that. So the same chefs that prepare the food on board will prepare the food on the private island.
Jun 30th, 2009, 10:36 AM

FYI- We went to Stirrup Cay last winter on the first launch of the morning, and then returned early to the NCL Sun for lunch. We didn't care to have hot dogs and hamburgers on the beach or picnic area, instead opted for a sit down in the restaurant. We ended up eating in the buffet because the main dining rooms closed early for lunch because most people and staff went to the BBQ. The private island experience was very nice. I accidently fell asleep for a short nap in a shaded hammock until my wife woke me up. That was pleasant.
Jun 30th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

There is also and option of BBQ chicken on the island AND a buffet lunch

Just kidding!
Jul 3rd, 2009, 03:17 PM

Food on private island is always free but the choice is limited to what they bring: usually BBQ type like burgers, sausages etc. A limited selection of fresh fruit and salad. coffee and non sweeten ice tea.