Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Norwegian Star & Diamond Princess to Alaska

Jun 29th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

I haven't even been on my first cruise yet, but I'm planning my second! I had posted earlier about taking an "introductory" cruise on Carnival's Fantasy to get a feel for it so I could book an Alaskan cruise. I just couldn't resist! Anyway...

I'm trying to decide between the Norwegian Star (Category AA - Owner's Suite) or Diamond Princess (Category PS - Balcony Suite). I've been quoted $5742 with a $100 shipboard credit for Princess sailing August 20. Norwegian was $6290 sailing August 21 with no shipboard credit. Does these sound reasonable?

Has anyone been on either of these ships recently and care to share an opinion? Thanks everyone!
Jun 29th, 2004, 04:14 PM

tmorrell,
I'm not familiar with the Norweigan Star or the Diamond Princess but you may want to look at Radisson Mariner as well. For August 25 sailing (Seward to Vancouver) they are offering EITHER free air or $600 off the cruise fare (starts at $2732 which includes the free air). The Mariner is a FABULOUS ship and all the cabins are suites with balconies. The sq. ft. for the lowest category is 301 so you may be content and not feel the need to upgrade to an Owners suite. Also, keep in mind that it is very close to being all inclusive with no tips, liquor, beverage charges. The evening dress is all Casual so if you want something more formal, than this wouldn't work for you.
If you have an American Express Platinum card you also get a $300 shipboard credit on all Radisson cruises.

Just something else to consider. Alaska cruises are great, you'll really enjoy it!
Jun 29th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks petlover. Mom insists on a REALLY BIG ship so Radisson is out. Most of their ships carry 350-700 passengers which to most people is really big, but she has a fear of sea sickness so I've looked for the largest ones I could find in hopes of less motion.

We put a deposit down on the Grand Suite on the Diamond Princess a few minutes ago. I couldn't believe there was only one of those, so I had to grab it up.

Thanks again!
Jun 29th, 2004, 05:24 PM

You'll be very happy with the Diamond. One of our best vacations ever
Jun 30th, 2004, 12:35 AM

I would definately go with NCL compared to Princess round trip out of Seattle. More inside passage sailing compared to Princess or HAL. Big ships and Alaska is the norm now- unfortunately. My opinion only.
Jun 30th, 2004, 04:22 AM

I would choose Princess over NCL from a cruise ship line perspective.
Jun 30th, 2004, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your replies. I'm thinking I can't go wrong with either NCL or Princess, so I'll just have to try them all someday!
Jun 30th, 2004, 06:59 AM

Just a suggestion that you price both of those sailings at www.cruisequick.com. We've found they almost always come in 10%-20%+ less than most other agencies.
Jun 30th, 2004, 08:22 AM

Curious as to your Mom's reasoning for wanting a really large ship, especially in Alaska.
Jun 30th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Gardyloo - I did go with cruisequick.com and they had the lowest price even with the Grand Suite. Cruisequick was also the best deal for the Carnival cruise I'm taking this October.

newyorkgolfer41 - The bigger the better is the ways she sees things. She's leery of cruising as it is (I am too a little), so she wants to make sure there are many things to do on the ship, she doesn't want feel "trapped," etc. All the silly reasons first time cruisers think they need a really big ship (even in Alaska).

Jun 30th, 2004, 09:13 AM

Another plus of a big ship is that the you won't feel the bumps as much. And the personal choice dining with the 5 restaurant choices is great.

Diamond has had problems docking in Victoria and reaching far into Tracy Arm due to icebergs. Since you're going in August hopefully the icebergs won't present issues. The last 2 cruises have successfully docked in Victoria.
Jun 30th, 2004, 09:26 AM

Oops I meant there are 4 personal choice theme restaurants.
Jul 1st, 2004, 04:01 AM

Diamond has problems docking in Victoria due to high winds. Unfotunate situation but they are back sailing on schedule.

Several lines have skipped Victoria a few times because of wind conditions. When the captain thinks it is unsafe to dock, he doesn't.