Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   Norwegian Sky - comments (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/norwegian-sky-comments-101003/)

Joanne Jan 19th, 2001 06:22 PM

Norwegian Sky - comments

My husband and I are about to book a cruise on the Norwegian Sky. We have only been on one cruise before and it was on Royal Caribbean. I know the Sky is one of their newest ships. I like new and need clean and pleasant. Should I reconsider this cruise line? Help - quick.

Paul Therault Jan 19th, 2001 07:02 PM

<BR>Hi Joanne, <BR> <BR>I am a travel agent and am considered to be somewhat of a rebel but I have not sold a NCL cruise for 2 years since I had 3 terrible experiences along with many of my customers. <BR> <BR>The ships are not being maintained properly and their employees are not quality. <BR> <BR>If you are a gambler buy the cruise and hope for the best. You will probably have an average cruise. <BR> <BR>If you have a problem, do not expect support from the administration. <BR> <BR>I presume you are like many others. You are trying to save a few bucks. <BR> <BR>I would book RCCL in a heartbeat. <BR> <BR>Good luck, <BR> <BR>Paul

Natalie Jan 20th, 2001 03:58 AM

I sailed the Norwegian Sky a year ago when they still had assigned seating. (apparently all seating is open)..We had a great time...service above average, food was great, entertainment staff always on a high....I think you would have a great time. <BR> <BR>The rooms are small though, but so are most other outside cabins on other ships. <BR> <BR>My only thought is: in assigned seating you get to meet your table mates and if you enjoy them, then you wind up spending leisure time with them too....on unassigned seating how do you get to meet people and spend time getting to know them? For us, that's half the fun.

Natalie Jan 20th, 2001 04:02 AM

I missed a point of note...Paul responded to your original quiry....note his response to my opinion on the Sun Princess (Princess lines under Sun is just awful). I cannot believe he is a travel agent...

Parrot Mom Jan 20th, 2001 11:59 AM

Well, Paul and I disagree.... I sailed on the Sky during their repositioning cruise and loved it.. They were just starting open seating and freee style cruising.. We loved the ship.light and airy, wonderful crew..the entertainment was SPECTACULAR.. we had one of the infamous outside cabins with balcony..but if you write me I'll be glad to send you my review of the ship.. Would I sail on it again..you bet.. As for not being maintained...I beg to differ with Paul..as a matter of fact if you write me I'll be glad to send you to my site to see my pictures..(you too Paul) The art work is gorgeous, the feeling is light and airy.. and my mouth is drooling just thinking about their Le Bistro...After two weeks on the ship..I would not hesitte to recommend it.. I'm hoping with fingers crossed we can do the re-positioning of the NCL Sun....great destinations..

Joanne Jan 21st, 2001 04:07 AM

Thanks for the comments. Since we have been on RCCL before and loved it I have decided on Enchantment of the Seas of the RCCL. Seems like the best all around. Here I come!!

Paul Therault Jan 23rd, 2001 07:23 PM

<BR>NCl is a gamble. Most cruisers will enjoy the experience. I just worry about my customers too much. <BR> <BR>Parrot Mom just likes the water and cruising. Give her a rowboat and a motor and she will go. <BR> <BR>This is really the way to go, ignore the negatives, no matter how painful. <BR> <BR>Paul <BR> <BR>

Parrot Mom Jan 24th, 2001 01:53 AM

Note quite Paul...We are fussy as to room location...I won't go on a Carnival (had bad cruise to no=where).. and actually prefer land vacations...and will not cruise out of Miami again.. I do not worry about butler service or the decor of the room..that is true.. All in all I feel cruising is a good value for my dollar..and that included the charming experience on the SeaBreeze..I'm just not a cruise snob..and go with the flow and make my own good time... Would I go onother lines..absolutley and I have..but now I want them out of Boston or closeby..

pam Feb 2nd, 2001 01:04 PM

I sailed on the sky in July, 2000 to Alaska and loved it. The only part of the cruise I didn't like was the freestyling. Other than that I would recommend the NCL Sky. I have never had a bad cruice on NCL. I would recommend RCCL also. I would not recommend Carnival. If you are younger, Carnival would be ok

Parrot Mom Feb 2nd, 2001 04:13 PM

To Paul.. First are you located in the Boston area? Second, what have you heard about the new NCL Sun? Write to me off the forum and I'll tell you something that somebody at NCL shared with me that will set the cruise industry spinning.

Marilyn Feb 3rd, 2001 08:28 AM

Paul, I haven't sailed on an NCL ship in quite a while but did just do two inspections in December. I visited the Dream and the Majesty and was VERY pleased with what I saw. The people were very pleasant and helpful. The ships were immaculate and even though I didn't actually eat anything the buffet by the pool for the oncoming guests looked wonderful. I did not expect the Majesty to be nearly as nice as it was. It was a very pleasant surprise. I will admit that I have been hesitant to book NCL after reading all your posts but have done many since seeing for myself. The staff was great and the embarkation was going quickly and pleasantly with welcoming musicians and juice being served to everyone as they waited.

captb93 Feb 4th, 2001 11:04 AM

We were on the Sky's New Year's cruise & loved it. We have been on Celebrity & <BR>Renaissance ships, so we think we can fairly critique the Sky. OK, the cabins are small but the new sister ship will have larger cabins. The Freestyle atmosphere is fantastic! The entertainment is the best on the seas. You can eat when YOU want - not when THEY tell you to. You can dress formal OR casual - again it is YOUR choice! <BR>Re. NCL not addressing problems - not from our experience. We had one emergency & one minor problem & their response exceeded our expectations! <BR>Yes, I have read some of Paul's prior comments on NCL & he also does not endorse Renaissance. But it should be noted that both cruise lines are offering "alternative cruising" & this does not sit well with the establishment. <BR>Toni & Ed <BR>

Ruth Feb 15th, 2001 08:35 PM

We were on the Sky in November, 2000 and had a wonderful time...loved the whole experience. We've had 7 cruises with Royal Caribbean...this was our first with NCL. The freestyle dining was excellent. The Dive In program great, and the entertainment was the best we've seen on a ship. We're headed out on the Dream in a couple of weeks, and are booked for the maiden voyage of the Sun (sister to the Sky) in September. Enjoy your cruise..which ever it may be!!

Paul Therault Feb 15th, 2001 10:31 PM

<BR>Pleased to hear the continuing good news about NCL. Possibly the new owners are getting things together. <BR> <BR>I will try sailing them again in a few months and do a thorough investigation. <BR>

OK Feb 16th, 2001 12:53 PM

I have to say, I was on the Sky New Years eve and thought the cruise ship led a lot to be desired. The food was okay, the rooms were small, the shows were great, but freestyle eating is a pain, especially with a group of 8. If you want to eat in one of the nicer dining rooms, they only accept reservations at 11AM for that day or the next and they are usually booked by 11:15. We found ourselves always worring about where we were going to be eating. I much prefer, set times for dinner. Also, we had lousy weather and couldn't find much to do.

Ginny Jun 2nd, 2001 01:12 AM

We have booked our third NCL Cruise. I find them to be very gracious with their returning cruisers. They have a Latitudes Club that offers fantastic deals on cruising to previous cruisers. We went on the repositioning cruise last December and had first hand experience with the free-style dining. At first we missed the companionship that assigned seating developes but now I see benefits. You eat when your hungry. It's no longer forced grazing at a specific time. The food was spectacular. They have a "Cooking Light" Selection at all meals. I tried them not because they were good for me but because they sounded so good, and they were!! Enjoy your cruise, they are a great Cruise Line

Billy Jun 4th, 2001 10:34 AM

Hi Joanne, <BR> Sailed sky to the E. Caribbean on 1 Apr. this year. Good cruise and an excellent value. Booked another cruise on the Sun for Jan'01. <BR>Cheers <BR>

Jane Hoffmann Jun 4th, 2001 05:53 PM

Just back from Alaska on the Sky. Alaska was GREAT. Wonderful weather. The Sky was a major disappointment. Crew was very rude and surly(except for Ricardo, our cabin steward-The Best). Food was fair to poor and presentation was terrible. Cabin(balcony)is very small. Latitudes program is a joke. Sorry to be so negative. I know the NCL lovers will jump on me, but this was our experience.