No carnival, but a "cruise from hell'

Feb 15th, 2018, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

No carnival, but a "cruise from hell'

"A violent brawl aboard a Carnival Cruise Lines ship bound for Melbourne has caused the vessel to dock in Eden on the NSW South Coast, with police now involved."

Violence reported on cruise ship Carnival Legend on way to Melbourne

After this on a P&O cruise just last week -

P&O Cruise ship forced to return to Sydney after alleged brawl over toilet queue - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Any such incidents recently in the northern hemisphere?
Feb 16th, 2018, 03:30 AM

I looked into his. A video from an Aussie TV station noted there was previous bad behavior by this family group or should we say tribe earlier on the cruise. There was a video of a skirmish by the pool deck and you can see one man shove a security guard and threaten him. It seems this was the culmination of bad blood brewing all week. I don't know why CCL let it build up like this. The guy shoving the guard should have been tossed off right away. There should be zero tolerance for this type of behavior.

The staff was clearly not prepared. Security personnel were seen kicking a man on the ground who was already restrained and other personnel were seen swatting at people who were filming this brawl.

What a mess.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/20...-violent-brawl

Last edited by jacketwatch; Feb 16th, 2018 at 03:33 AM.
Feb 16th, 2018, 04:54 AM

To answer your question no, I’ve heard nothing like this happening here on cruise ships. We were on the Legend in 2014 for a 7 day cruise cruise out of Tampa as we were there already for a wedding. Some behaviors we saw were gross. A drunk was cursing loudly on the pool deck with kids around. I reported this to a deck attendant and asked him to call security. He said it would be better if I did it so I called. At least 10 minutes went by and no one showed up so we left. Not impressive then and worse now.
Feb 16th, 2018, 05:51 AM
Forum Moderator

See also:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show....php?t=2599868

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show....php?t=2599725

Not a good advertisement either for cruising or Carnival's security staff.
Feb 18th, 2018, 05:21 AM

I read CCL is offering 25% off a future cruise to all passengers who were on this particular cruise. I hope that would be on top of any existing discounts at the time of booking.
Feb 19th, 2018, 07:49 PM

It must have been a full moon or something like that. Two separate incidence within a week, all from down under.
I have not head about the first P&O incidence but I would say on the second incidence, the ship's security handled it poorly on the Carnival.
From what I read was it's been going on for a few days, Whatever happened to the zero tolerance?
They culprits should have been booted off the ship on the first incidence.
The security team appears to be ill prepared and have no clue or action plan and no one seems to be in charge.
The senior officer was seen leaving while the melee was still going on instead of stepping in and take charge.
So what would happen if there is a pirate or terrorist attack if they can't even handle a brawl?

Last edited by Eschew; Feb 19th, 2018 at 07:51 PM. Reason: did't look right on my screen
Feb 19th, 2018, 09:38 PM

What a sh&t show.. and the staff look like idiots.. the officer more concerned about the event being filmed than in supervising the security staff.

The group should have been tossed well before this fight as apparently they had been acting up and scrapping for days before this..

The staff needs to learn how to handle incidents effectively.. it honestly looked so mickey mouse.
Feb 19th, 2018, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

Yes, not a good look. For some of us this type of misbehaviour only reinforces prejudices rightly or wrongly held, one of them being that there is a small but significant class of cruise passenger - in this part of the world at least - who think that being on the high seas is kind of an extra-territorial no-mans land where anything goes - being inebriated or otherwise making a nuisance of yourself - much like some downtown streets of a decent size Australian city after 11pm others might say. We're not active cruisers (or whatever the term is) but had been looking forward to circumnavigating our big island continent by sea at least once, or coast by coast, before we finally drift off.
Feb 21st, 2018, 02:18 AM

I agree in that CCL let it go on for far too long. A spokesperson afterward said tossing people off is the last thing you want to do. Well if they behave that way you better reconsider that. There should be zero tolerance and it should be enforced.

I wonder of we will ever find out how the crew was dealt with especially the guy kicking that man in the back while he was pinned down.

BTW we were on that ship in 2014. We attended a wedding in Tampa and she happened to be in port that time. I wasn't very impressed either. Some of the behaviors on the part of the passengers were pretty rough. There was a drunk yelling and cursing on the pool deck one day. I asked one of the pool hands or waiters to call security and was told it would be better if I did that so I did. We waited 10 minutes and no one came so we left.

If you tolerate that sort of behavior it will just continue.
Feb 21st, 2018, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

"Outside the scene is serene and beautiful. Inside, not so much"

"Maybe the fault is in cruise ships themselves – the way they are designed for excess, they way you are all trapped in there together. A brawl in these circumstances is not so much a surprise as an inevitability."

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/c...ng-on-a-cruise
Feb 22nd, 2018, 09:38 AM

Not once have I ever felt "trapped in there together" on a cruise. First, I chose to be there, have my own private space and facilities, can choose exactly how I wish to spend my time and can walk freely inside and outside to enjoy as I wish. The decor is clean, pleasant and inviting, even luxurious. I may have a snack whenever I wish and go to the bathroom whenever I wish. I may eat whenever I wish, drink whenever and whatever I wish, participate or not in any activities and sit or sleep whenever I wish.

Now, if you want to know what really being trapped is, without being in prison, spend a week in almost any public school in the US. You stay in a room, or series of rooms, usually at a small desk or table, no access to the outdoors and often an interior room with no windows. Quite likely, except for floors being cleaned and the end of year general cleaning when a year's worth of hidden gum is scrapped from under the desk tops, it is the most germ ridden environment one can imagine. I have heard people refer to a cruise ship as a Petri dish. Nonsense. Handle books or crayons that have been used by hundreds of unwashed hands. In this unsanitary place, you may go to the bathroom only with permission or at set times and may go outdoors only for a very small, limited, set period. You often have no choice of teacher or subject. Communication with other people is limited, but other people may taunt you and bully you with immunity. You are likely forced to participate in activities in which you feel embarrassed or publicly humiliated.

It is strange if you think about it, how many people, often those who have never been, describe a cruise and the people who go on them in such derogatory terms, yet willingly and happily send their kids, along with hundreds of thousands of others, off to be trapped in an unsanitary, sometimes emotionally abusive, situation every day of their lives for years.

If you buy the premise (which IMHO is ridiculous) that brawls are inevitable on a cruise ship, how on earth can anyone expect students to ever behave with any sense of respect and decorum? Yet, under circumstances of near imprisonment, they usually do.

Fights and brawls by anybody, anywhere is indicative of the persons involved. Somehow I have been "trapped" as you put it, on a dozen cruise ships and managed never once to have become embroiled in a brawl. The behavior of the family of idiots involved in the brawl on Carnival is reflective only of themselves and had nothing to do with their environment.
Feb 22nd, 2018, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

"...I have been "trapped" as you put it..."

No, as the journalist put it - it was a quote - with quotation marks - from her article. But yes, I wouldn't want to be trapped, or feel trapped, especially after paying big $ for the pleasure.
Feb 22nd, 2018, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Perhaps more attention should be given to cruise company policy and crew training in dealing with the spoilers.
Feb 22nd, 2018, 06:49 PM

The spoilers have no right to ruin the experience for anyone else. I do not much care how they are dealt with as long as they are restrained and removed from the ship asap.

Sorry about incorrectly attributing the quotes. Did you post them because you disagreed with them?

Certainly, if a particular situation makes anyone "feel" trapped, they should avoid it if they can. I feel that way about sitting in a tour bus for anything more than a few minutes, or a car for more than a couple of hours. However, many people enjoy road trips and tours by bus and it is not for me to criticise their choice of travel.
Feb 22nd, 2018, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

"Sorry about incorrectly attributing the quotes. Did you post them because you disagreed with them?"

No worries Sassafrass. I neither agree nor disagree with them because I don't know, but the article seems to gel with anecdotes some of us have heard over the years and which generally don't make it into the local press, and these recent reported cases and norovirus outbreaks certainly don't make it any easier for me to convince the LSO (Long Suffering One) that a round Australia cruise - any cruise - would be a good idea (mind you she still hasn't forgiven me for taking her bushwalking about 35 years ago without access to a proper sit down toilet for the weekend).

Last edited by farrermog; Feb 22nd, 2018 at 09:59 PM.
Feb 23rd, 2018, 12:00 AM

You are funny. Your LSO sounds like my DH. Talked him into going camping - once. One night and we went home. He said it reminded him of being in Vietnam. He also declared that a man worked hard to buy a house with a proper toilet, that he wanted a place to be comfortable with soft paper. He didn't like the cheap stuff I bought, so he buys all the toilet paper.

BTW, I like all cruises, but Carnival certainly wouldn't be one I would recommend for a first cruise anyway.
Feb 23rd, 2018, 03:12 AM

Well I don't think I'd want to be on a short Australian Carnival Cruise with a bunch of bogans like that!

You do have to be careful of which cruise line and itinerary (some have reputations as booze cruises).

Some lines and specific ships don't have good records on norovirus. My first cruise was a Panama Canal one with Royal Caribbean and we had a norovirus outbreak which exceeded the threshold for reporting (along with an outbreak of flu and a respiratory virus which my friend, a teacher with a 40+ year career caught). The ship had the full sanitation happening when we arrived in San Diego at the end of the cruise. Fortunately we were not turned away from any ports. The norovirus gets the publicity but they never talk about how "cruise cough" spreads from passengers to staff and back again. So yes, floating Petri dish and you ARE trapped! Although we heard people talking about how they self-medicated their noro and didn't stay confined to cabins, which is what they were supposed to do..so no wonder it spreads!

Last edited by mlgb; Feb 23rd, 2018 at 03:14 AM.
Feb 23rd, 2018, 04:22 AM

From all the stories, you would think everybody on the ship was in kennels. LOL.
You really can go outside on the decks and if you have a balcony, your cabin also has access to fresh air. Of course, illness can spread anywhere, but I worry more on subways, in hospital waiting rooms, in airports and on planes where I really feel trapped.
That being said, cruises certainly are not for everyone, just as bus tours or AIs are not for everyone. Some like country, some like city. Good thing we do not all like the same thing, it would be terribly crowded.
Feb 23rd, 2018, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

Actually, the QM 2 is in town (Sydney) today (I was unable to upload a photo taken from a ferry this afternoon) - that'd be more the LSO's style, but not our budget unfortunately, and probably far too exxy and sedate for the troublemakers as well.
Feb 23rd, 2018, 11:45 PM
Original Poster

Here she is -

Search this Thread