Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   New York Pier Parking (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/new-york-pier-parking-208971/)

Jenna Apr 29th, 2002 09:27 AM

New York Pier Parking

We will be leaving from Pier 90 in New York City and I was just wondering if there is parking right there at the Pier? Thanks for any information you might have. My AAA office who booked our trip didn't know.

Paul Therault Apr 30th, 2002 12:31 AM

<BR>Hi Jenna,<BR><BR>Pier is on the West side away from the heavy city traffic. The parking at the pier is very convenient. Your car is safe and that will attest to the fact that it will cost you $16 per day. <BR><BR>What you do is drive up to the terminal, drop off your luggage to the porters (be sure to tip or your luggage may wind up in Staten Island). They will take it onto the ship. Go up the ramp to the parking where you will pay cash. Park your car, walk to the escalator which will bring you down into the terminal for your check-in. <BR><BR>Do not arrive before 12:30PM for many reasons.<BR><BR>Paul

Jenna Apr 30th, 2002 09:44 AM

Thanks Paul. That's one less thing to worry about!!

Jack May 5th, 2002 08:43 AM

Paul, why should we not park our car before 12:30PM?

hamlet May 5th, 2002 04:31 PM

I'm guessing that Paul recommends arriving after 12:30 so the majority of the disembarking passengers can clear out of the pier, pick-up points, parking lot, etc. first. While I think there is adequate parking, there's only one way up and one way down to the parking level. Depending on what day, there could be a few ships unloading passengers which can make for a very crowded area. If you are set on arriving at the port early, maybe you can just park the car, and walk around the city for a while before embarkation starts.

jack May 5th, 2002 05:28 PM

Hamlet- Thanks for the information. I have cruised before, but not out of New York. Jack

Paul Therault May 5th, 2002 10:47 PM

<BR>Yes, but do not plan on parking on the pier if you go early. It will take two hours just to get up the ramp on most cruise days (not to mention the backed-up southbound traffic on the highway).<BR><BR>FYI if you are coming in from the south do not ake any of the tunnels since they will slop you into the city. Take the George Washington bridge. Those coming in from the North (east of the Hudson) Simply take 9A south that runs along the river.<BR><BR>Paul

Jack May 6th, 2002 04:12 AM

Paul- Thanks for your helpfull information. We are coming from Philly, and your directions will be very usefull. We're cruisin' to Bermuda on May 18th. First time to Bermuda. We've been to the Carribean 3 times, cruising with NCL twice, and once with Holland America. Also, I have heard that they accept cash only at the pier parking ! lots? Is this true?

Paul Therault May 7th, 2002 12:46 AM

<BR>Yes, cash for pier parking. Was $16 a day last year.<BR><BR>You will just love Bermuda. Well worth the high price.<BR><BR>Paul