Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

NEVER PAY AN UPFRONT FEE TO A TRAVEL AGENT.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 04:53 PM
R. FELLOWS

I just got burn't by a travel agency. I enquired about a cruise and what told that I would have to pay a 50.00 research fee up front. I stupidity paid it. I did some research on my own and found a discount agency that could sell me the same product for 12% less. I went back to the first agency and they would not pricematch. I was told that the research fee was non-refundable.I feel that travel agents use this research fee as a HOOK to book with them. I will always do some research on my own before making a reserrvation. It's ironic but the agency with the better price didn't ask for an upfront fee. I WILL NEVER PAY AN UPFRONT FEE TO A TRAVEL AGENT AGAIN.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 05:46 PM
Theresa

I have never heard of a "research fee".<BR><BR>Sorry you got burned!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:34 PM
xman

You should name the agency!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Anthony

Of course TA's don't charge fees. I dont know why you would ever think that they would.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Paul Therault

More and more travel agents are charging fees since the airlines have stopped paying commissions.<BR><BR>If you look around you will find those that do not (at least for the time being).<BR><BR>$50 is extremely excessive.<BR><BR>Paul<BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:41 AM
candida

You burned yourself. And you got what you paid for. If time is money then you should have paid yourself the 50 bucks since you were going to do it on tour own anyway.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 07:26 PM
aaa

Travel Agents that charge a fee ( and $50 is not excessive) always tell you up front that it covers their time involved in helping you ...and that the fee is credited to your cruise WHEN you book.<BR><BR>If you want to do your own research, don't pay the $50 and don't waste the TA's time--do it yourself.<BR><BR>If you booked with that charging agent, you would NOT have been charged the $50 at all-- and to compare a regular agency with a cruise only agency is like comparing apples to oranges....<BR>Discount agencies get just that: DISCOUNTS......You should have gone to the discount agency first....<BR><BR>But, don't rack the first TA's brains and then go to the 2nd one to book-it's just not kosher--

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 09:49 AM
b currier

The person purchasing a cruise product has every right to complain. No one should rely on the info from just one TA.They should comparison shop just like buying a car or a stereo. Who would ever pay a upfront fee for a saleman to price out a car? There are no standards for Travel agents and you could very easily get BAD ADVICE.. I agree, that it would not be smart to pay an upfront fee. and Yes. DO AS MUCH RESEARCH AND COMPARISON SHOPPING ON YOU OWN UNTIL YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE MAKING THE PURCHASE.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 10:11 AM
SecretTravelAgentMan

If you send me $100, I'll find you a good agent that doesn't charge an upfront fee.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Melissa

I think it is the consumers fault that some agencies are charging up front fees. Our agency does not, but sometimes I wish we did. A lot of discount agencies do not do any extra work other than book. Clients will call full service agencies such as us, and ask us every question under the sun, get us to price everything, recommend tons of stuff, and figure out what is best for that person, They then turn around and book with a discounter. Meanwhile, my company has to pay me for my hours of work...and have made nothing in return

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 12:48 PM
cheapscate

Melissa tough crap. I don't give a crap. It is not my fault how your employer does business. Frankly, I can't believe that travel agencies give out any free info. They should always require a deposit (of say $50) and if the person actually books, it will be put towards their purchase. That would eliminate any whining from people like Melissa.<BR><BR>With the Internet and 1-800 numbers, most consumers do their own research. I persoanlly always call at least 3 different travel agents EVERY SINGLE time I book. I rarely get the same quote and I always give them the exact same info. Why not have 3 people looking for the best deal for you instead of just one?

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 01:55 PM
a Travel Professional

Personally, You should develop a Relationship with a Very Good Travel Agent with a good DataBase who gets to know you and your likes and dislikes.<BR>If you are a customer who books with the same agent all the time, you will get preferential treatment. They will know when they see a deal you might enjoy and email or call you with the information.<BR>Let them know where you want to go in the future and as deals come in, they can pass it on.<BR>I do not charge an upfront fee, but sometimes wish I did, as people often waste you time when they never intended to book with you.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 03:06 PM
g gordon

There is more free and reliable info on the net than any travel agent could possible know. I feel sorrow for anyone who does not have access to the net and are forced to pay Travel agent's fees for something that is available for free. I would suspect that many TAs are taking advantage of seniors.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 08:03 AM
p smyth

Travel agents fees are too high for what their do. The airlines don't what to support travel agents because of the high cost.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 12:44 PM
a Travel Professional

The cost is much less than what they are paying for their Websites. A maximum of $20 per ticket when they went to Zero.<BR>The Majors DL/AA/UA/CO/US/HP just don't like the fact agents search out the Best Rate and it is not always on one of the above.<BR>They do not like agents suggesting the client go on a different day or return on a different day to save $$.<BR>It has nothing to do with the cost of compensation, it is all about Control.<BR><BR>I encourage my clients to check out the Products I have suggested on the Net.<BR>I rip no one off, I usually suggest something other than what they asked for which is a Better Value.<BR>

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Melissa

Cheapscate<BR><BR>you make no sense, I was not whining, i was just saying. You said people should pay $50 to each agent, then you say people shouldn't pay that...make up your mind.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Andreas in SAF

Do you get full information about different computers, checking with your local store?<BR><BR>I guess not, since there is no local store. They are all out of business, since their "customers" bought cheaper somewhere else.<BR><BR>Do you get good information about the different choices of cameras?<BR><BR>I guess not, since your local store closed, because all the shoppers bought cheaper via the internet, AFTER having gotten the information from the local store.<BR><BR>It's the same with travel agencies: PAY THEM if you want them to work for you. STAY AWAY FROM THEM if you are one of the ***USERS***, who want to suck out information from them, then turn around and buy "cheap".<BR><BR>We really are happier without these "savvy" shoppers. <BR>

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 11:57 AM
j kemp

You travel agents seem to be offended if we shop and research our travel elsewhere.Please remember, it's our money and you don't have an exclusive on travel info or purchases. After dealing with a travel agent for many years it has become clear that the value of a TA has been diminished by the internet. I prefer to shop around as well as researching my own own travel. this way I am more knowledgeable when the agent is trying to feed me a load of crap.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 11:58 AM
j kemp

You travel agents seem to be offended if we shop and research our travel elsewhere.Please remember, it's our money and you don't have an exclusive on travel info or purchases. After dealing with a travel agent for many years it has become clear that the value of a TA has been diminished by the internet. I prefer to shop around as well as researching my own own travel. this way I am more knowledgeable when the agent is trying to feed me a load of crap. I believe that TAs are not professionals but rather salepeople.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 04:11 PM
WildBill

JKemp, you bring up some good points. Too bad the idiots like Andreas don't have any valid responses other than, "if you use the internet, we'll close down" Gee, I be Andreas still uses a milkman, still travels out to the farm to pick up her vegetables, only buys her clothes from small tailors, etc. What a load of crap. Anyways, Andreas, I'd bet that more people go on-line and look for info and then call a ta with exact dates, etc. than the situation you describe. Get with the times TA's or you'll go bye-bye

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -